Rab C Nesbitt at Italia 90 - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rab C Nesbitt at Italia 90

Ally Bongo

Even now hearing "Bonnie Scotland We'll Support You Ever More" in a foreign land gives me goosebumps

56 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

This was on TV over Christmas. Felt quite emotional watching it; thinking ahead to June n that.

Tell me about it

Was my first "away" adventure and i was a daft big 22 year old galoot

Our train from the South of France went on the coast route and the folk on the beaches were waving to us when they saw all the saltires hanging from the train windows

Nearly everyone on the train had a cargo and even the non football passengers joined in for a massive session

The noise when we got off the train at Genoa Central was incredible and that was only a couple of hundred Scots

A wee old italian wummin approached us and told us that her mother was Scottish - totes emosh

We had to get a local train to the station near the stadium we had a 10 minute walk or so to get there

There were a hundred or so of us walking and we came to a sort of crossroads before an underpass used by cars

Walking towards us was another few hundred Scottish fans and as we looked right there was what seemed like thousands more coming on the road from the right

We all came together at the underpass and the noise was incredible

There were that many of us that the traffic in the tunnel came to a standstill and all the cars started sounding their horns and waving at us

Will never forget it

Everyone I know that was at Italia 90 talks about "the underpass". Sounded amazing. Unfortunately I was mid exams at uni so there was no chance to go 🫤

Will need to watch all of Rab C. I'd forgotten Stanley Baxter and John Grieve were in it.

Met all the cast of Rab C Xmas edition at Rapallo beach, (just ootside Genoa) where we were based. Good crack had with them all. As for the tunnel/underpass, unbelievable noise!! some experience. (Apart fae the first match 🤫)

Always wondered, did they write the script for this on the spot, or did they go out for the tournament, film a load of stuff, and then piece it together in the studio afterwards?

They seem to use a lot of fan footage from the actual World Cup (granted mainly the Costa Rica game)

On a slightly similar note - has anyone watched the ‘Boys from Maybole’ at Spain ‘82 on YouTube? 

I remember having it on tape back in the day. 

Anyone from down Ayrshire way know if any of them go to games still? 

Edited by AlfieMoon

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 9:15 AM, wanderer said:

Always wondered, did they write the script for this on the spot, or did they go out for the tournament, film a load of stuff, and then piece it together in the studio afterwards?

They seem to use a lot of fan footage from the actual World Cup (granted mainly the Costa Rica game)

Nae sure about the script but they definitely filmed afore and during the Cost Rica game. Some photos of when we bumped into them in Rapallo. Screenshot_20240128_012726_CamScanner.thumb.jpg.3773ca6501e086cb567076e91b46a17c.jpgScreenshot_20240128_012721_CamScanner.thumb.jpg.257e0080ea54fda58a4cf56cf7321332.jpgScreenshot_20240128_012715_CamScanner.thumb.jpg.3fbe61551f056c8037591509464b7b1a.jpg

On 1/8/2024 at 8:22 PM, AlfieMoon said:

On a slightly similar note - has anyone watched the ‘Boys from Maybole’ at Spain ‘82 on YouTube? 

I remember having it on tape back in the day. 

Anyone from down Ayrshire way know if any of them go to games still? 

They do reunions every now and again.

One of them died of a heart attack in the early 2000's, and there was a big reunion fundraiser where they got STV to show it in full in Maybole, and they had a few guest speakers.

Sure STV interviewed a couple of them in 2021 in the build up to Euro 2020.

I know that the bus was apparently abandoned in some petrol station near Madrid on the way back, and apparently was there for years just rusting away.

Edited by wanderer