Council Tax Bands - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I recently moved house on the 1st august and bought the house in tax band D,,, i got a letter in yester with the following"Property is currently placed in band D however due to alterations completed prior to your purchase, i am now required to review that band to E" so my question is this, should the tax band not have been changed prior to me buying it and 2 can they back date me for it,,, to say i am not happy is an understament

I recently moved house on the 1st august and bought the house in tax band D,,, i got a letter in yester with the following"Property is currently placed in band D however due to alterations completed prior to your purchase, i am now required to review that band to E" so my question is this, should the tax band not have been changed prior to me buying it and 2 can they back date me for it,,, to say i am not happy is an understament

They can't possibly backdate it to a time that you weren't there.

Might be wrong but I'm sure that if the previous people had put up extensions that change the banding of a property, the new banding doesn't come into effect until someone else buys the property

Think you're right. Happened to us twice.

Your solicitor should have spotted the potential for this to happen and should have warned you about it. They wont ask you to pay council tax from before you moved in. Is there not a date on the letter telling you when the new tax band comes into affect?

I phined the coucil today and it appears that my solicitor should have spotted the potential for a band rise,oh well just have to go with it o suppose

You could stick a professional indemnity claim in against your solicitor. Not sure if it would be worth the hassle though - moving home is stressful enough.