Munich Travel advice - Scotland v Germany - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Munich Travel advice

Jacob

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going from Heathrow on the 14th at 0830hrs to Frankfurt (currently £97) then ICE train to Munich at 1230hrs (around £30 and 3hr 30) into Munich by 4pm. You obviously would need an easy jet to London or something similar first, I work down here, so didn't have to worry about that part. Have a look at the Lufthansa app, if you haven't already got it.

https://www.skyscanner.net/flights-to/muc/cheap-flights-to-munich-airport.html

£247 from London leaving 13th returning 25th is the cheapest direct

At this stage, unless extra flights are put on, the cheapest flying will be from England

Maybe look to see who flys to obscure airports nearer - not Wroclow

Example - When Scotland were playing Holland in Amsterdam we got cheap flights to Groningen for about £40 and then a 2 hour train journey

You will need to spend a day/night at it googling massively

Edited by Ally Bongo

I fly into Munich from EDI at midday on 14th. Getting  an overnight train after the match to my digs in Gelsenkirchen.

I know the train station has left luggage lockers for my suitcase, but I suspect these might be busy. Is there any other 24 hour left luggage options near the station.. all online options that i can see are not 24 hour.

1 hour ago, saintsparky said:

I fly into Munich from EDI at midday on 14th. Getting  an overnight train after the match to my digs in Gelsenkirchen.

I know the train station has left luggage lockers for my suitcase, but I suspect these might be busy. Is there any other 24 hour left luggage options near the station.. all online options that i can see are not 24 hour.

https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/mvv-und-service/service/gepaeckaufbewahrung/index.html#:~:text=Am Ostbahnhof befinden sich 112,je nach Größe und Leihdauer.

Munich main railway station offers 1416 lockers for short term storage for up to 3 days. So you should be fine to get one there. Else Ostbahnhof or Pasing station

36 minutes ago, TA-West Germany said:

https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/mvv-und-service/service/gepaeckaufbewahrung/index.html#:~:text=Am Ostbahnhof befinden sich 112,je nach Größe und Leihdauer.

Munich main railway station offers 1416 lockers for short term storage for up to 3 days. So you should be fine to get one there. Else Ostbahnhof or Pasing station

Cheers mate. Just not sure how available they will be with 60 thousand fans visiting....

Having had a look at these answers, the most cost-effective way is probably with an Interrail Pass.

A 4-day pass is €258 (£222.20) if your over 27 years old and €194 (£167.08) if you’re aged 12-27. If you’re travelling with a child under 11, they get their pass for free.

Match ticket holders get 25% off their Interrail pass, so you're looking at £166.65 for auld yins and £125.31 if you’re 27 or under.

You’ll arrive in the city centre - none of the extra cost or hassle of getting to and from the airport. And if you got the Sleeper (seat-only, a cabin with a bed cost more) from Edinburgh on the Wednesday, you would arrive in Munich 24 hours before kickoff.

Interrail passes for match ticket holders go on sale on 17 January, more information here: https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

There are still bargains to be had - Out of Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted.

Direct to Munich was a bit pricey, so l started looking at other places in Germany (Stuttgart was about 90 pounds) and then Austria (Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna) and Switzerland (Basel and Zurich).

The cheapest I have seen today is Stansted to Vienna for 40 pounds.

From Vienna Airport Station you can get a train to Munich with 1 change (in Salzburg).

From Innsbruck; quick bus from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof, then a direct train to Munich (1.5 hours).  

And from Zurich Airport Station you can get a train direct to Munich.

The latter is what I have just booked.

Heathrow to Zurich was 60+ pounds, but I paid 80+ pounds with 23KG of hold luggage.

Once again, Zurich Airport to Munich by direct train.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:56 PM, Goozay said:

Having had a look at these answers, the most cost-effective way is probably with an Interrail Pass.

A 4-day pass is €258 (£222.20) if your over 27 years old and €194 (£167.08) if you’re aged 12-27. If you’re travelling with a child under 11, they get their pass for free.

Match ticket holders get 25% off their Interrail pass, so you're looking at £166.65 for auld yins and £125.31 if you’re 27 or under.

You’ll arrive in the city centre - none of the extra cost or hassle of getting to and from the airport. And if you got the Sleeper (seat-only, a cabin with a bed cost more) from Edinburgh on the Wednesday, you would arrive in Munich 24 hours before kickoff.

Interrail passes for match ticket holders go on sale on 17 January, more information here: https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

I bought an interrail pass on the black Friday sale.  

I think you can only have 1 day for outbound journey in home country, and 1 inbound day.  Reason I mention that is the sleeper would be 1 day and then you’d be using UK travel again the following day for Eurostar so that wouldn’t work - I don’t think. 

I am going to check that to be sure though so will report back.  We currently plan to go Glasgow-London 6:30am on 12th. Eurostar at 1pm gets us to Cologne 6:15pm. Train the next morning to Munich. 

18 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I bought an interrail pass on the black Friday sale.  

I think you can only have 1 day for outbound journey in home country, and 1 inbound day.  Reason I mention that is the sleeper would be 1 day and then you’d be using UK travel again the following day for Eurostar so that wouldn’t work - I don’t think. 

I am going to check that to be sure though so will report back.  We currently plan to go Glasgow-London 6:30am on 12th. Eurostar at 1pm gets us to Cologne 6:15pm. Train the next morning to Munich. 

If you join the train as Carstairs or Lockerbie. It counts as same day as you are boarding after midnight..

1 hour ago, Paul D said:

Is anybody thinking of getting the train down to Munich? I'm based in Southampton now so I'll be a bit closer than most. Not having much luck booking train tickets though. Any advice would be great 😃

I'm in Southampton too, but I've already booked (scroll up). 

If you really want to train it, your first two journeys will obviously  be Southampton to London Waterloo and then the Eurostar from London St. Pancreas to Brussels or Paris (your choice which). That's half the journey, so get your Eurostar booked.

From Brussels or Paris, you can then get to Germany.

Use the Deutsche Bahn website for times, prices and bookings. The Deutsche Bahn website seems to cover everything in Europe.

Earlier tonight, I used that very website to book my train into Germany (Zurich Airport to Munich).