An Evening with Gordon Strachan, Tue 7th Nov East Kilbride - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Evening with Gordon Strachan, Tue 7th Nov East Kilbride

GroundsKeeper

2 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Canny wait, really like strachan.

No nations league back then and we had one hell of group in the euro 2016 campaign. 

Germany, Poland and Ireland.

All the home nations qualified apart from us. Truly heart breaking. Germany loosing in ireland when Germany had already qualified killed us.

STRACHAN MEXICO .png

That was a brutal day. Watching the Scotland v Poland game with my wee boy, his first qualifying tournament that he was right into, tears welling up in his eyes in the dying minutes of the game, knowing that Ireland were beating Germany.  I turned to him and said, there's still slight hope, Ireland could beat Poland in the next game and we'd get the playoff place.  His tears stopped and he gave a wee smile, right then that shitty freekick scrambled it's way into our net.  It was all too much for the wee fella who ran off to his room in floods of tears.  All I'd ended up doing was giving him some false hope.  The closest I've been to giving up on watching Scotland.

So glad we both stuck with it, this campaign has made up for a lot of hurt 🙂

Edited by todd

1 minute ago, todd said:

That was a brutal day. Watching the Scotland v Poland game with my wee boy, his first qualifying tournament that he was right into, tears welling up in his eyes in the dying minutes of the game, knowing that Ireland were beating Germany.  I turned to him and said, there's still slight hope, Ireland could beat Poland in the next game and we'd get the playoff place.  His tears stopped and he gave a wee smile, right then that shitty freekick scrambled it's way into the net.  It was all too much for the wee fella who ran off to his room in floods of tears.  All I'd ended up doing was giving him some false hope.  The closest I've been to giving up on watching Scotland.

So glad we both stuck with it, this campaign has made up for a lot of hurt 🙂

Poland game was awfull did some wee fud not run on the pitch giving them extra time to equalise 😡

Germany 2024 will make up for France 2016.

Just a pity down south have qualified.

As for the other three Wales, NI and ROI.

👋 Will give you a wave on the telly

1 hour ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Poland game was awfull did some wee fud not run on the pitch giving them extra time to equalise 😡

Germany 2024 will make up for France 2016.

Just a pity down south have qualified.

As for the other three Wales, NI and ROI.

👋 Will give you a wave on the telly

I wouldn't bet against those jammy Welsh just yet. If not through their group they could well squeeze through the playoffs.  Sure hope I'm wrong though, just can't be doing with that lot 😕 

A while ago I watched a few of our games back from the 2016 campaign. I noticed one common theme from the games that cost us - Germany/Poland and Georgia away - Scott Brown not holding his position/charging out or not getting tight enough.We would have had enough to at least draw the Germany game, beat Poland and qualify otherwise.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:19 AM, JECK said:

A while ago I watched a few of our games back from the 2016 campaign. I noticed one common theme from the games that cost us - Germany/Poland and Georgia away - Scott Brown not holding his position/charging out or not getting tight enough.We would have had enough to at least draw the Germany game, beat Poland and qualify otherwise.

I don't like putting on all one player.

Looking back at the campaign ( and hindsight is always great post event)

I think not going for the win in Dublin was a  big mistake. At 1 each we had charlie adam ( attacking midfielder) on the bench who had just scored from the half way line at Stamfortd bridge. But we put on another centre half and settled for a draw.

The Irish thought they had blown it.

Then we went to Tiblisi and never kicked a ball, and no plan B. The SFA have come a long way recently. But back then there was a player revolt. The extra leg room on the charter flight went to the blazers and not the tallest players. Plus instead of having the charter waiting on the players, the SFA done it on the cheap and the plan went for another job . The plane was delayed coming back for them and it upset the build up for Germany at home which we also lost

Then the luck of the  Irish who  not only won in Tiblsi in their first game, they also got to play Germany in Dublin when they the Germans had already qualified. Queue a 1 nil home victory,

Horrible memories. 

On 11/6/2023 at 1:05 PM, GroundsKeeper said:

I don't like putting on all one player.

Looking back at the campaign ( and hindsight is always great post event)

I think not going for the win in Dublin was a  big mistake. At 1 each we had charlie adam ( attacking midfielder) on the bench who had just scored from the half way line at Stamfortd bridge. But we put on another centre half and settled for a draw.

The Irish thought they had blown it.

Then we went to Tiblisi and never kicked a ball, and no plan B. The SFA have come a long way recently. But back then there was a player revolt. The extra leg room on the charter flight went to the blazers and not the tallest players. Plus instead of having the charter waiting on the players, the SFA done it on the cheap and the plan went for another job . The plane was delayed coming back for them and it upset the build up for Germany at home which we also lost

Then the luck of the  Irish who  not only won in Tiblsi in their first game, they also got to play Germany in Dublin when they the Germans had already qualified. Queue a 1 nil home victory,

Horrible memories. 

Sure but doesn’t disguise the fact there was key individual errors made in the middle of the park. We were bang on track just after Dublin in the June, come the autumn we blew it, 4 points from Georgia away and Germany and Poland at home would have been enough for the play off spot, instead we got 1.