hairdressers.....Glasgow centre - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

hairdressers.....Glasgow centre

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Well I am going to trnsmt on the Friday so now know exactly when this wedding is Davie! 😁
Try hotels outwith Glasgow. For example The Glynhill hotel in Renfrew is right next to the motorway and only a few miles from Glasgow. There will be other hotels similar. 
Get yourself on a city sightseeing bus on 29th while Mrs Davie is at the hairdressers, and see this fine city. I take it she found one ? 

The wedding venue is outside Glasgow on the road to kilmarnock or ayr I think, a few people are staying at some country club which is halfway between the venue and glasgow.

as for the hairdresser who knows depends what the trial run turns up....

the sightseeing will be my usual probably involving the horseshoe,the clutha,the crystal palace,the piper and then brewdog merchant city.

next question is a florist for our flooers,when we were last down we googled a nearby one in the high street but it had closed down so any other help would be appreciated

25 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

The wedding venue is outside Glasgow on the road to kilmarnock or ayr I think, a few people are staying at some country club which is halfway between the venue and glasgow.

as for the hairdresser who knows depends what the trial run turns up....

the sightseeing will be my usual probably involving the horseshoe,the clutha,the crystal palace,the piper and then brewdog merchant city.

next question is a florist for our flooers,when we were last down we googled a nearby one in the high street but it had closed down so any other help would be appreciated

Fenwick Hotel?

18 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

😂😂 you have overplayed your hand on this one. 

because of the hotel situation that weekend it looks like a lot of people who are travelling for the wedding are now staying in Kilmarnock..which now has the knock on effect of the coach being laid on from the city centre to the venue being cancelled as no one was using it,,apart from me that is or was 

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone following this...

the dry run went reasonably well with respect to the make up and hairdo,they are both sorted now.

only managed to go for a drink on the sunday monday  tuesday and Wednesday and only went to the piper and a pub called the blaine valley across from our digs and rab has round from that as i fancied a seat outside and then it started to rain.

saw more caley thistle supporters in the centre than all other 3 teams combined.

had a quick trip to bridge of weir on tuesday to remove 2 radiators in preparation for plastering.

of the 3 occasions in the piper I had fish and chips twice other than that very quiet few days and still no flowers ,one senior moment when I was supposedly walking to screwfix in tradeston and reached the hydro before I realised I'd mis counted bridges and therefore gone miles past my original destination.

All to do again in june sometime once the plasterers been

20 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

for anyone following this...

the dry run went reasonably well with respect to the make up and hairdo,they are both sorted now.

only managed to go for a drink on the sunday monday  tuesday and Wednesday and only went to the piper and a pub called the blaine valley across from our digs and rab has round from that as i fancied a seat outside and then it started to rain.

saw more caley thistle supporters in the centre than all other 3 teams combined.

had a quick trip to bridge of weir on tuesday to remove 2 radiators in preparation for plastering.

of the 3 occasions in the piper I had fish and chips twice other than that very quiet few days and still no flowers ,one senior moment when I was supposedly walking to screwfix in tradeston and reached the hydro before I realised I'd mis counted bridges and therefore gone miles past my original destination.

All to do again in june sometime once the plasterers been

This is more entertaining than the coronation. Any particular reason for the walk to screwfix ? 

22 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

to pick up a set of forstner bits

Hmmm. 

So, back to the make up and hairdo. You said it went ‘reasonably well’. I hope you were a bit more enthusiastic when Mrs D asked your opinion. ‘Reasonable well’ leaves far too much room for doubt . 
Or is that the reason you spent 4 days in the pub, 2 days eating alone ? 

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Hmmm. 

So, back to the make up and hairdo. You said it went ‘reasonably well’. I hope you were a bit more enthusiastic when Mrs D asked your opinion. ‘Reasonable well’ leaves far too much room for doubt . 
Or is that the reason you spent 4 days in the pub, 2 days eating alone ? 

I say reasonably well as the hair doo was fine,the make up looked a bit "thick" ,my own words....and my wife agreed so it will be a quick skim as opposed to a full plaster on the day.One of her friends did give the opinion that it was probably because she was wearing jeans and on the day she will have a nice dress on so the make up will be fine....?

at the moment looks like the florist will be the one in central station at this rate

On 5/8/2023 at 7:52 PM, davierobbsagod said:

I say reasonably well as the hair doo was fine,the make up looked a bit "thick" ,my own words....and my wife agreed so it will be a quick skim as opposed to a full plaster on the day.One of her friends did give the opinion that it was probably because she was wearing jeans and on the day she will have a nice dress on so the make up will be fine....?

at the moment looks like the florist will be the one in central station at this rate

😂 you can certainly spin a tall tale davie . 

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 you can certainly spin a tall tale davie . 

all true,

the hair doo is just a wash and blow dry,cant go wrong there,and the wife did enquire at central station about flowers as we really are struggling to get a florist in the merchant city area and surrounds,and the make up quote,all true although I'd had a couple of large house reds in the piper and had a substantial table between my wife and I

17 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

all true,

the hair doo is just a wash and blow dry,cant go wrong there,and the wife did enquire at central station about flowers as we really are struggling to get a florist in the merchant city area and surrounds,and the make up quote,all true although I'd had a couple of large house reds in the piper and had a substantial table between my wife and I

😂

So, I will continue to bite. Is there any reason the florist has to be in the Merchant City ? 

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂

So, I will continue to bite. Is there any reason the florist has to be in the Merchant City ? 

thats where we are staying easier to pick up the flooers for everyone,is there a florist in the suburbs who could deliver ? 

20 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

thats where we are staying easier to pick up the flooers for everyone,is there a florist in the suburbs who could deliver ? 

Can folk not get their own buttonholes ? Or how about asking the bride Or the hairdresser. Or the make up girl. Or Super Ally. 
Dont be pinching them from the flower beds in the city I know Aberdonians like to save a penny 🙂

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Can folk not get their own buttonholes ? Or how about asking the bride Or the hairdresser. Or the make up girl. Or Super Ally. 
Dont be pinching them from the flower beds in the city I know Aberdonians like to save a penny 🙂

you'd have thought so but my wife is a control freak and likes to make sure everything is "all right" so the buttonholes for the groom's 3 brothers and their respective partners will be bought by us (me)

• 4 weeks later...

for those following this...

27 days to go

flowers are sorted,someone from Johnstone is going to drop them of at the venue,

make up people have been binned.

wife is not long in the door from 2 days in edinburgh for the hen doo and "tired"

the groom is coming back up the road for a "home "stagger involving his 3 brothers and me in my backie

2 bags of organic lemons macerating nicely in the vodka for the limoncello

other than that I think we are good to go...

On 6/11/2023 at 6:24 PM, davierobbsagod said:

for those following this...

27 days to go

flowers are sorted,someone from Johnstone is going to drop them of at the venue,

make up people have been binned.

wife is not long in the door from 2 days in edinburgh for the hen doo and "tired"

the groom is coming back up the road for a "home "stagger involving his 3 brothers and me in my backie

2 bags of organic lemons macerating nicely in the vodka for the limoncello

other than that I think we are good to go...

You may need to share your Limoncello recipe, I'm liking the sound of it!

very simple 

9 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

You may need to share your Limoncello recipe, I'm liking the sound of it!

very simple recipe,usual recipes say to use 100% grain alcohol this is too strong for the scottish palette  our 70% is more than adequate ,my wife will not use anything other than smirnoff but for the first boys wedding because of the quantity needed we had to go to costco for the big boy bottles which using meant costcos own brand which was more than adequate for the occasion, we had 20 litres of limoncello in 2 jars with taps ,people were issued with glasses of prosecco on the way in to top up with a shot of limoncello as a starter as per the brides request,anyway it might have been hit as people were wondering round pre meal with champage glasses full of the said limoncello...

recipe is 

1 litre vodka -5  unwaxed lemons -macerate for minimum 1 week ,longer the better

dilute with sugar syrup ,750ml water-750g sugar.

its not an exact recipe, do it to taste, start with half syrup and work your way up, it wont look as yellow as the commercial stuff cos there are no colours in it

On 6/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, davierobbsagod said:

very simple 

very simple recipe,usual recipes say to use 100% grain alcohol this is too strong for the scottish palette  our 70% is more than adequate ,my wife will not use anything other than smirnoff but for the first boys wedding because of the quantity needed we had to go to costco for the big boy bottles which using meant costcos own brand which was more than adequate for the occasion, we had 20 litres of limoncello in 2 jars with taps ,people were issued with glasses of prosecco on the way in to top up with a shot of limoncello as a starter as per the brides request,anyway it might have been hit as people were wondering round pre meal with champage glasses full of the said limoncello...

recipe is 

1 litre vodka -5  unwaxed lemons -macerate for minimum 1 week ,longer the better

dilute with sugar syrup ,750ml water-750g sugar.

its not an exact recipe, do it to taste, start with half syrup and work your way up, it wont look as yellow as the commercial stuff cos there are no colours in it

So, I have an idea 🤔 How about i have a go at making this and i bring  my lemincello  to the party and we can have a blind comparison taste test ????? I can maybe stretch to a bottle of Prosecco too. 

• 3 weeks later...

for those following this thread....

advance party has arrived and fully ensconced in the penthouse in the merchant city, No 1 son along with his wife and the 2 grandchildren have arrived and completely upset the calm equilibrium that I had established using the power of brewdog. No 2 son arrived unexpectedly with the kilts which resulted in a very wet dash to wilson street, (its absolutely pi**ing down here),No 3 arrived via the choo choo from gods country at queen street so myself and No 1 made up the welcoming party and had a small drink in the counting house before returning to the penthouse.No 4 arrives tomorrow and some sort of dress rehearsal at the wedding venue is also on the cards which doesn't actually involve me apart from being the designated driver.

anyway...more to follow