hairdressers.....Glasgow centre - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

hairdressers.....Glasgow centre

It has come to this now, I am asking on the tamb for recommendations for a ladies hair stylist that also does make up Glasgow city centre/merchant city area.

No 2 son is getting married doon there and the wife needs her hair and make up done on the saturday morning.Anyone help ?

Apologies in advance for any offence caused we are finding it difficult to get anywhere.

Thank you

I am not sure if this is a wind up or not but being the only woman on here I feel a responsibility to offer some suggestions 😊 Unfortunately my own hairdresser only does old folk, and I have never had my make up done by someone else. That would be obvious if you saw me.

My oldest daughter is getting married this year and she had a similar problem. She is getting married in Edinburgh but we live in the West of Scotland so it wasn’t easy to find someone. I will ask her if she had recommendations that she couldn’t use as they only the cover the West. 
Will your wife be in a hotel on the wedding day ? Some hair and makeup artists are mobile and will travel to you . 

There is definitely a Unisex hairdressers on Wilson Street (Just opposite Merchant Square) not that I have been in it though 😄

Sure there are quite a few in that area of Merchant City. . . . . though I usually have had a few beers any time I'm in Merchant city (as the wife normally drags me into the Merchant Pride pub) 🌈😄 

I used to have a work colleague whose daughter worked in the Rainbow Room in George Sq.  She used to regale us with stories about famous people her offspring had encountered during her working life, so I guess it must be good.  Not sure if they do makeup though.

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am not sure if this is a wind up or not but being the only woman on here I feel a responsibility to offer some suggestions 😊 Unfortunately my own hairdresser only does old folk, and I have never had my make up done by someone else. That would be obvious if you saw me.

My oldest daughter is getting married this year and she had a similar problem. She is getting married in Edinburgh but we live in the West of Scotland so it wasn’t easy to find someone. I will ask her if she had recommendations that she couldn’t use as they only the cover the West. 
Will your wife be in a hotel on the wedding day ? Some hair and makeup artists are mobile and will travel to you . 

not a wind up....we have rented a flat in glassford street so  I will put that idea to her,we may have to look further afield perhaps across the water or further past the tron thingymebob

12 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

not a wind up....we have rented a flat in glassford street so  I will put that idea to her,we may have to look further afield perhaps across the water or further past the tron thingymebob

My daughter says she used instagram , that way you can see videos of the hairdresser/ make up person is doing which helps if you dont live close enough for a trial session.

She was recommended  :

Helen Matthews (make up)

Leigh Blaney (make up)

Fiona park (make up) 

Cameo Bridal (hair) 

I think they come to you. If your wife wants a one stop shop I noticed this place does both hair and make up and it seems to have good reviews. Its not right in the city centre but very close and not too far from Glassford st. 

https://illusionhairandbeauty.co.uk/services/

I have never been though so cannot personally recommend it.

Good luck. I will ask around some friends and if anyone knows of a place will let you know. 

I am definitely feeling this is a wind up, the chances of you needing a taxi to the village I live seems more than a coincidence 🙂

However, if its genuine, I could recommend Renfrewshire Cabs on  0141 887 7770 and TOA on 01505 323333. Renfrewshire cabs are bigger so may have more availability but TOA will be a bit cheaper I think and both have always been very reliable for me I use them a lot. They both have apps but would probably book over the phone for a larger taxi. 

If its not being too nosey where are you going in Bridge of Weir ? And will there be a ‘ scramble’ out the taxi ?!  😁

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

I am definitely feeling this is a wind up, the chances of you needing a taxi to the village I live seems more than a coincidence 🙂

However, if its genuine, I could recommend Renfrewshire Cabs on  0141 887 7770 and TOA on 01505 323333. Renfrewshire cabs are bigger so may have more availability but TOA will be a bit cheaper I think and both have always been very reliable for me I use them a lot. They both have apps but would probably book over the phone for a larger taxi. 

If its not being too nosey where are you going in Bridge of Weir ? And will there be a ‘ scramble’ out the taxi ?!  😁

Has he not got round to asking if he can use your mansion for the reception yet? That might the next thing on his "to do" list?

35 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Has he not got round to asking if he can use your mansion for the reception yet? That might the next thing on his "to do" list?

😂 I am just in the lodge house, he will need to contact The Flure Estate for bigger numbers.

I was actually hoping to gatecrash the party. Can do bed and breakfast in return. 

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

my son and his future wife have recently moved there after living in shawlands for a couple of years,I cant remember his address but if you stand on the main street and walk towards the kilbarchin road (i think) we cross over a bridge and turn sharp right and go up a very steep and winding hill once it flattens out I turn left and thats his street

17 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

my son and his future wife have recently moved there after living in shawlands for a couple of years,I cant remember his address but if you stand on the main street and walk towards the kilbarchin road (i think) we cross over a bridge and turn sharp right and go up a very steep and winding hill once it flattens out I turn left and thats his street

I think the steep hill might be Prieston Road but its not very windy. Ranfurly is to the left it so it might be there. I will need better instructions than this for the after party though davie I canny be walking about with a carry out listening for a party in Bridge of Weir or  I will get lifted for loitering. 

1 hour ago, davierobbsagod said:

I googled mapped it,it is indeed prieston road,i remember passing a wee deli shop I then turn onto hazlewood road and he is in kilgraston road

I know exactly where it is. Its next to the golf course.I take my daughters dog walking up there. I will be stalking the road every Sunday from now till the end of the wedding season.

my wife is a closet super ally fan from the 80's ,  apparently he stays near there, My task is to frequent the pubs when I'm doon there and report back to her.

Its a half Aberdeen wedding you will know the house we will be charging admission to the garden....

You will find him in the Coach House, if you park your arse their all weekend you will see him. 
What do you mean ‘when you are down there’. Is she no coming to the wedding cos she cant get a hairdresser? 

Edited by TDYER63

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

You will find him in the Coach House, if you park your arse their all weekend you will see him. 
What do you mean ‘when you are down there’. Is she no coming to the wedding cos she cant get a hairdresser? 

Tut, tut tut. Grammar police might get your for that. 😁

2 minutes ago, fringo said:

Tut, tut tut. Grammar police might get your for that. 😁

There would be more polis at my door than at the Murrells if I was to be picked up on my grammar 😁

Just had an idea. I might be able to get an invite to the after party for an introduction to Ally 🤔 Derek McInnes goes in too though he might no be so popular to an Aberdonian.  . 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:04 PM, davierobbsagod said:

It has come to this now, I am asking on the tamb for recommendations for a ladies hair stylist that also does make up Glasgow city centre/merchant city area.

No 2 son is getting married doon there and the wife needs her hair and make up done on the saturday morning.Anyone help ?

Apologies in advance for any offence caused we are finding it difficult to get anywhere.

Thank you

My missus uses Onyx in Glasgow for weddings etc i'm sure. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

coisty stays up golf road, second last house i think... he back onto land at the end of thriplee road where he is trying to bully his way into buildng a 'mere' 250 houses with his dodgy pal east - his name is mud round those parts...

On 4/16/2023 at 6:38 PM, TDYER63 said:

I think there are 3 pubs in the village but that is the only one I have been in so far on quite a few occasions

On 4/17/2023 at 12:24 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Hopefully he's got a lot more time to spend there soon. 

Might be The Buddies this weekend that makes your wish come true !

Btw. Was talking to 2 killie season ticket holders in the Florida Park bar before the Spain game. Guy in his late 20’s early 30’s i would think, and his father in law. Young guy had dark hair, was quite a handsome boy. Father in law was in his 60’s I’d say. The young guy was married,  was moving house , his wife was a solicitor. Do you know them ? Dont know their names but the young bloke had been best man at a few weddings so must be popular 😁

quick update for anyone following this thread,

My wife and I will be doon the road on the 29th for a few days for a "dry run" of the hairdressers and some frock shopping for the big day,I will be wearing my kilt at the wedding and require very little attention from a hairdresser other than some strategic combing so will be at a loose end for the visit.

On another note the wedding is the same weekend as the trnsmit thingy and people going to the wedding are having helluiva job  getting accommodation 

19 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

quick update for anyone following this thread,

My wife and I will be doon the road on the 29th for a few days for a "dry run" of the hairdressers and some frock shopping for the big day,I will be wearing my kilt at the wedding and require very little attention from a hairdresser other than some strategic combing so will be at a loose end for the visit.

On another note the wedding is the same weekend as the trnsmit thingy and people going to the wedding are having helluiva job  getting accommodation 

Well I am going to trnsmt on the Friday so now know exactly when this wedding is Davie! 😁
Try hotels outwith Glasgow. For example The Glynhill hotel in Renfrew is right next to the motorway and only a few miles from Glasgow. There will be other hotels similar. 
Get yourself on a city sightseeing bus on 29th while Mrs Davie is at the hairdressers, and see this fine city. I take it she found one ?