Venue - Page 2 - Cyprus v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Venue

Big Brows

21 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Davy Provan sounds like a LEGEND! But TY to Wanderer for posting the FaceBook details and updates on possible Stadiums very promptly!

I still ain't saw any official News on the Stadium. It would be great to read some of the low down on how the TA found our which Stadium it is well before it is released to the Media. Impressive work!

Wish they could do the same for the Spain game. 😄😄

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Davy Provan sounds like a LEGEND! But TY to Wanderer for posting the FaceBook details and updates on possible Stadiums very promptly!

I still ain't saw any official News on the Stadium. It would be great to read some of the low down on how the TA found our which Stadium it is well before it is released to the Media. Impressive work!

Davy has his own contact at the Cyprus FA that he confirms these things with. I imagine it's pretty solid if he's gone all the way to booking busses etc.

Realistically Cyprus only has 1 stadium appropriate for hosting major international games that expect a decent travelling crowd. And having been there last time it is an absolute toilet of a ground still. They were stalling a bit to see how the new stadium in Limassol was coming along, but of course way behind schedule. 

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Not entirely sure why you thought the Nicosia stadium was a "Toilet". It was only 20 years old when we were there.  

The new Limassol Arena stadium opened last year.

Just re-checked Davy's posts re: Limassol. The stadium is complete but there appears to be ongoing legal arguments between the Govt and local council about who pays for roadworks required around stadium etc etc so assume that hasn't been completed yet.

My memories of Nicosia were that it was run down and unmaintained. Concourse areas and toilets in a state of disrepair and seating either partially broken or covered in litter and fags. Worst of all - non alcoholic beer on sale only

11 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

My memories of Nicosia were that it was run down and unmaintained. Concourse areas and toilets in a state of disrepair and seating either partially broken or covered in litter and fags. Worst of all - non alcoholic beer on sale only

Maybe you're thinking of the San Siro 🙂

I remember Nicosia as a modern, but fairly simple stadium.

A bit soulless, but not a dump.

13 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Just re-checked Davy's posts re: Limassol. The stadium is complete but there appears to be ongoing legal arguments between the Govt and local council about who pays for roadworks required around stadium etc etc so assume that hasn't been completed yet.

Wasn't only the stadium that was run down and unmaintained that day. Good description of the bulk of our support. Good day right enough. 😄😄😄

42 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Wasn't only the stadium that was run down and unmaintained that day. Good description of the bulk of our support. Good day right enough. 😄😄😄

Too many 0% Carlsbergs consumed 😉

Stayed in Larnaca last time which was just the 45minute bus. Paphos this time which is an unfortunate 2 hours

21 hours ago, thesaint said:

Wish they could do the same for the Spain game. 😄😄

I have a place booked in Nicosia and Larnaca from Weds 6th to Saturday 9th so I'm looking to cancel the right one.

I have 99.9% faith in Davy that we are heading for Nicosia. But no harm in waiting before I go cancel the Larnaca Apartment. I really can't wait!

UEFA need to sort this, 6 Months should be the minimum time to set Stadiums in advance. #ForTheFans

20 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Too many 0% Carlsbergs consumed 😉

Stayed in Larnaca last time which was just the 45minute bus. Paphos this time which is an unfortunate 2 hours

Too many stops on the march to the bus departure point to be honest. Great day all the same. 

7 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I have a place booked in Nicosia and Larnaca from Weds 6th to Saturday 9th so I'm looking to cancel the right one.

I have 99.9% faith in Davy that we are heading for Nicosia. But no harm in waiting before I go cancel the Larnaca Apartment. I really can't wait!

UEFA need to sort this, 6 Months should be the minimum time to set Stadiums in advance. #ForTheFans

Larnaca is only a 45 minute journey anyway. So it's not really a problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure everyone knows that UEFA Rules state that Match Venues must be confirmed a minimum of 120 Days before the fixture takes place. 120 Days before the Cyprus game is Thursday, so look out for official confirmation then!

Nicosia here we come! (officially announced Thursday!)

29 minutes ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I'm sure everyone knows that UEFA Rules state that Match Venues must be confirmed a minimum of 120 Days before the fixture takes place. 120 Days before the Cyprus game is Thursday, so look out for official confirmation then!

Nicosia here we come! (officially announced Thursday!)

Be interested to see where Georgia take Spain too , and hoping they might announce ours at the same time

Bummer, Venue will not be announced tomorrow. Here are all the Rules around Venue Selection:

Article 26 Venues and kick-off times

The associations must submit an updated list of proposed stadiums for the 2022-24 European Qualifiers to the UEFA administration by 10 November 2022 for preliminary approval.

The host association selects the venue for each match from the corresponding list of proposed stadiums and announces it to the UEFA administration at least 120 days before the match in question.

When fixing a venue, the host association must take into account the length of the journey to be undertaken by the visiting team. In principle, the venue for a match must be no more than a 90-minute bus drive from the nearest international airport with daily flights from/to other European cities.

Any objection by a visiting association regarding a selected venue must be communicated to the UEFA administration, with the host association in copy, within three days of the venue being confirmed by UEFA. The UEFA administration will take a final decision, confirming the venue or requesting that the host association propose another in accordance with these regulations.

1 hour ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Bummer, Venue will not be announced tomorrow. Here are all the Rules around Venue Selection:

Article 26 Venues and kick-off times

The associations must submit an updated list of proposed stadiums for the 2022-24 European Qualifiers to the UEFA administration by 10 November 2022 for preliminary approval.

The host association selects the venue for each match from the corresponding list of proposed stadiums and announces it to the UEFA administration at least 120 days before the match in question.

When fixing a venue, the host association must take into account the length of the journey to be undertaken by the visiting team. In principle, the venue for a match must be no more than a 90-minute bus drive from the nearest international airport with daily flights from/to other European cities.

Any objection by a visiting association regarding a selected venue must be communicated to the UEFA administration, with the host association in copy, within three days of the venue being confirmed by UEFA. The UEFA administration will take a final decision, confirming the venue or requesting that the host association propose another in accordance with these regulations.

Looking at the rules it seems to say 120 days before match,so why is it not being announced tomorrow then?

13 hours ago, thesaint said:

Looking at the rules it seems to say 120 days before match,so why is it not being announced tomorrow then?

There is a further 3 Days where the SFA could object.

So the SFA should know which Stadium the CFA have selected at some point soon.

So we should know at some point after UEFA have told the SFA then waited a further 3 days.

It'll be Nicosia as Davy said though! 

1 hour ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

There is a further 3 Days where the SFA could object.

So the SFA should know which Stadium the CFA have selected at some point soon.

So we should know at some point after UEFA have told the SFA then waited a further 3 days.

It'll be Nicosia as Davy said though! 

Thanks for that. Know that not everybody likes it but there is something to be said about having a national stadium. Certainly makes it easier when booking trips rather than waiting about for venue announcements(Seville being a perfect example). 

The Fans in the Stadium are the most important thing. It is them who create the Spectacle along with the actual game itself. Jock Stein got that right. UEFA should be doing all they can to make it as easy as possible for travelling fans to attend games.

Venues should be announced within 14 Days of any Draws taking place and only in EXTREME cases should the venue ever be changed. War, Natural Disasters or something of that nature.

3 hours ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

The Fans in the Stadium are the most important thing. It is them who create the Spectacle along with the actual game itself. Jock Stein got that right. UEFA should be doing all they can to make it as easy as possible for travelling fans to attend games.

Venues should be announced within 14 Days of any Draws taking place and only in EXTREME cases should the venue ever be changed. War, Natural Disasters or something of that nature.

What they should do and what they actually do are very different. They couldn't care less about the fans. Never have and never will. We just get in the way of the money making machine. 

And, at long last the City of the game has been announced. 99% sure on the Stadium too, and, it's not the NEW Stadium by the looks of it!

UEFA says the game is at: N/A - Nicosia

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/match/2036383--cyprus-vs-scotland/

And I don't think the N/A stands for Non-Applicable......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicosia_Atatürk_Stadium

• 3 weeks later...