Police Cautions - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Police Cautions

As stated you are 100% ok and have not been "cautioned" in the official warning way that is common in England but only happens for a couple of offences in Scotland.

You were cautioned "you are not obliged to say anything but by thing you do say will be noted and may be used in evidence" as a protection to you incase you were to incriminate yourself in anyway by your statement. Common practice, or at least it's supposed to be.

Nothing at all to worry about mateo

I was involved in a traffic incident last week.

The guy in front suddenly stopped to allow a car to turn right in front of him.

I stopped too but an unmarked police car hit me from behind.

I was told we had to wait for a senior officer to arrive as it was standard procedure when a police vehicle was involved in a RTA.

When the officer arrived I was taken into his van & given a caution prior to making a statement & breathalysed.

I'm now told that the officer shouldn't have given me a caution & that this goes on your record & could affect car insurance in the future.

The leader of Sheffield City Council is a personal friend of mine & believes the police have acted beyond their powers & would like to take it further.

Does anyone know about police cautions?

Reading up about them seems to suggest they are given to people who admit an offence but I didn't as I don't believe I committed any offence.

Any advice/views would be welcome before I consider my position & next move.

Even if it was an "official" caution, it wouldn't affect your car insurance. Only actual endorsed convictions affect policies - things like speeding fines (SP30), traffic light offences (TS10), etc. If there's no possibility of you receiving a driving endorsement, there's nothing to declare to the insurer (other than the accident itself, obviously).

Only speaking from situation in Scotland.....EVERY driver involved is given a formal caution prior to statement being taken and also breathylised. Nothing to worry about....mind how ye go now.......

Mind me to tell you about the time I got done for going thro a red light in Paisley and the fun and games I had with the experienced cop and young (newly qualified?) cop with him.

:D

Ok - that would seem to make sense.

Ah okay that definitely seems to fit the situation.

All in bold is consistent to what I was told.

Insurance company has said it will affect my premium unless/until the police insurers pay out, at which time they will have deemed to have accepted liability.

(The driver of the police vehicle did shake my hand & apologised as I left, so I'm guessing they will be admitting the collision was their fault).

Thanks all for your input, I feel more reassured now after having seeds of doubt sown by friends.

(if you make yourself known to me in the Iron Horse or Ferry on Saturday, I'll buy you a drink). ^_^

Silver, they are correct. Your premium will be affected until full recovery made. They'll grant you it back though. If you want a hand, nip down to Meadowhall (Burley Group) ask for Matt Mawson.

OK then. Cheers!

Provided you turn up this time of course. :wave:

As stated you are 100% ok and have not been "cautioned" in the official warning way that is common in England but only happens for a couple of offences in Scotland.

You were cautioned "you are not obliged to say anything but by thing you do say will be noted and may be used in evidence" as a protection to you incase you were to incriminate yourself in anyway by your statement. Common practice, or at least it's supposed to be.

Nothing at all to worry about mateo

That would appear to be the case - thanks.

I take it the driver of the unmarked police car had the same treatment?

Yes he did. He was breathalysed as I was being interviewed & I assume he was given the caution before making his statement.

Even if it was an "official" caution, it wouldn't affect your car insurance. Only actual endorsed convictions affect policies - things like speeding fines (SP30), traffic light offences (TS10), etc. If there's no possibility of you receiving a driving endorsement, there's nothing to declare to the insurer (other than the accident itself, obviously).

Cheers Neil.

Silver, they are correct. Your premium will be affected until full recovery made. They'll grant you it back though. If you want a hand, nip down to Meadowhall (Burley Group) ask for Matt Mawson.

Thank for the advice & offer of assistance Flo, that's more or less what I was told by the insurance co.

See you next time you're down this way?