Euro 2020. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020.

Tartan Chris

Can only look ahead to this now.

When is the draw, how should be the manager etc, will Brown/Fletcher retire or stay on for one final push like many of the Northern Ireland players did, will this board get a reprieve?

I do think there's a decent chance Scotland will qualify IF momentum is maintained which is a big if of course given it's a year before a competitive game.

Let's remember with the euros format Scotland would be in a play off place. I believe though Uefa in thier wisdom have got some wierd nations league format which is even harder to work out than who qualifies for the play offs!

Still at least Hampden will host some games!

If everyone stays on... and assuming everyone stays fit... I would be tempted to start next campaign with.....

gordon

berra mulgrew tierney

patterson brown Morrison armstrong robertson

One of snodgrass, mcgregor, 

griffiths 

Or

patterson berra mulgrew tierney

Brown  morrison

Ritchie       Armstrong    Robertson

Griffiths

Or maybe tierney at centre half.....  but with a giant centre half to attack the ball.

McGinn pushing for a start, Fletcher as cover.  

2 international dates in November, another 2 in March and chance for a couple of friendlies before World Cup so possibly 6 matches before qualifiers (League of Nations or whatever it`s called) start. Good opportunity to get some young players and try to get a good start to qualifying.

1 minute ago, ironbrew said:

2 international dates in November, another 2 in March and chance for a couple of friendlies before World Cup so possibly 6 matches before qualifiers (League of Nations or whatever it`s called) start. Good opportunity to get some young players and try to get a good start to qualifying.

Wouldn't use two internationals dates in November.

Give time for players and people to reflect on this campaign especially the ones who may call it a day like Brown, Morrison and Fletcher.

I also am based in the West Midlands and follow Walsall and their game v Blackburn on the international weekend will probably be called off as Mulgrew will get called off so could do without that.:lol:

I also read an article in the Times that playing too many friendlies in a year can knacker a teams world ranking. Swiss and Poland hardly played any friendlies and both in the top 10 and so get easy qualifying groups.

The two dates in March are fine for a new manager to have a look at a squad against nations heading to the world cup.

On the player front think central midfield will see some changes. Brown, Fletcher, Morrison and Snodgrass all in their 30s so could see an international retirement.

Said  it elsewhere but while Berra-Mulgrew have done o.k against better teams it just gives cheap goals away particularly from high balls.

There must be a young CB out there in the SPL or England that can break through in the next year?!

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Wouldn't use two internationals dates in November.

Give time for players and people to reflect on this campaign especially the ones who may call it a day like Brown, Morrison and Fletcher.

I also am based in the West Midlands and follow Walsall and their game v Blackburn on the international weekend will probably be called off as Mulgrew will get called off so could do without that.:lol:

I also read an article in the Times that playing too many friendlies in a year can knacker a teams world ranking. Swiss and Poland hardly played any friendlies and both in the top 10 and so get easy qualifying groups.

The two dates in March are fine for a new manager to have a look at a squad against nations heading to the world cup.

On the player front think central midfield will see some changes. Brown, Fletcher, Morrison and Snodgrass all in their 30s so could see an international retirement.

Said  it elsewhere but while Berra-Mulgrew have done o.k against better teams it just gives cheap goals away particularly from high balls.

There must be a young CB out there in the SPL or England that can break through in the next year?!

We are desperate for centre backs...  not seeing any coming through :-(

6 minutes ago, jagsman said:

The qualifiers for the Euro 2020 tourney dont start until March 2019, because the Uefa Nations League malarkey starts in September of next year. The thing is, you can qualify for the Euro's via the Nations league, as well as the Euro's qualifying competition.

UEFA Nations League

As I've said all that guff is harder to work out than the 2nd place table. :lol:

What is the point of playing the nations league if you're then having the usual groups for the euros?!

28 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Passing up friendly dates in November isnt the way. Play, move on, try players we were too afraid to try in these games. Absolutely nothing to be gained from shutting down for half a year.

Depends who you can find to play. Many teams will be playing play offs, the bigger teams are playing each other so you're looking at other teams who didn't make the world cup and not sure how beneficial that would be.

There's two dates in March when world cup teams will be looking for opposition and also in May just before the tournament starts. Then I assume they'll be one in August/Septmber so plenty of dates to play with.

I read that thing about the Nations' League in Thursday's programme and it made my heid nip.

Re the now vacant international dates. There will be a demand for Scotland to play as other nations seem to think we play the same way as England, Norn Iron, Wales and the Republic (all of whom might still make it to Russia) so we'd be seen as a warm-up.

1 hour ago, ironbrew said:

This. 

Drop anyone over the age of 30. Don't bin them completely but these will be guys that have been part of at least 3 failed campaigns now. Give them time to reflect, and find future replacements.

Develop a relationship down the left flank between Robertson and Tierney, they're going to be there for a long time. Build the team around them, Stuart Armstrong and Leigh Griffiths.

There are bound to be players that are in the U21s that could get some senior experience - Oliver Burke the obvious example.

Try out some of the younger goalkeepers to see if they're good enough - Clark at St johnstone, Fox at Ross County, Bain at Dundee and Archer at Millwall the only ones I can think of.

Use the SPFL players. Shinnie, McLean, Christie all doing well at Aberdeen, Souttar at Hearts a possible CB option? Ryan Jack at Rangers can do a job in midfield. The likes of Ross McCrorie, Anthony Ralston and Scott McKenna have had game time in recent weeks in defence, lets see how they develop over this season and maybe involve them in the senior set up in the pre-World Cup friendlies (assuming someone wants us). 

Look at the EFL, if Mulgrew can get a game anyone can! Murray Wallace at Scunny, John Fleck at Sheffield Utd both very well thought of. Draft in Barrie McKay and Jason Cummings. Tom Cairney and Kev McDonald at Fulham. Probably a lot more with little or no international recognition.

I'm not saying these players will all make a difference or make it at international level, but we need to use every opportunity to try out new players and build new partnerships. Otherwise how will we know they're good enough? We'll always have a fear of throwing someone into a qualifier if they've not got a few games underneath their belt. 

Try 3 at the back, try 2 up front. Try anything. 

Of the 22 players in the squad tonight, in an ideal world Mulgrew, Berra, Fletcher, Bannan, McArthur, Martin, Anya, Snodgrass, S.Fletcher, Allan McGregor and Whittaker would be removed and space made for others to try and influence the way the national team operate and to try and change our identity.