Singapore, Advice ! - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Singapore, Advice !

Big Well

Heading out to Singapore for 10 days at the end of next week, I am there over the weekend of the F1 night race, so that's a couple of days taken care of (Sat & Sun) but looking for suggestions for the remaining days.

What I could be doing with is advice from people who have recently been with the Must See's, Don't waste your time and money on & Worth a visit.

Any advice accepted.............Over to you lot ?

Take lots of money.  

I like Singapore, been there loads of times  and I think it's a great place but 10 days is far too long. You'll be crawling the walls after half of that - and that includes taking into account two days for F1 related stuff.  It really is the ultimate example of a great weekend break.

Get a cheap flight and go to KL or somewhere else, preferably an island for a few days.

Singapore is good for a couple of nights in my opinion - having traveled for more than 18 months throughout the whole of S.E Asia

http://www.singapore-guide.com/attractions/10mustsee.htm

The list above - I'd say the top 3, but Singapore is very clinical, expensive by Asian Standards, almost like a Disney version of Asia.

You can get really cheap ie. $20 hopper flights (1 hour max) to the likes of Penang (Amazing Food) or Langkawi (Beach setting, duty free beers) or my favourite place, get the Bus or even a taxi, to Melaka. 

I normally get a flight to KL and a taxi from the airport for a 2 hour drive 40 quid straight into the old town (same distance from Singapore)

http://www.wonderfulmalaysia.com/malacca-city-malaysia.htm

The locals are very friendly, its always hot, the bars are great fun, the weekends are buzzing especially with the night markets, and the food is fantastic - Pak Putra does the best Tandoori Chicken I have ever tasted, curries good and all for a single 1 quid. Stay in old town, this is my fave place to stay by the river, and you want Room 6 - The River Song next door is also quite good. The city is very compact and you can walk everywhere.

http://wayfarermelaka.com/

Georgetown is a good base in Penang, you can also get a local bus up the coast and take in Feranghi Beach - lots of Hawker stalls with entertainment laid on for free - holiday style fun - The Malays love Western Style music music, I felt like a kid being at Butlins/Pontins in the 70's and 80's - you really get in to it. 

I forgot to mention that if your Singapore hotel is booked, Little India is also defo worth a visit - but even if you have paid for your hotel, its well worth a wee trip and paying for a few nights away.

I was ejected from Raffles for wearing shorts. The missus was fine though and hers were half the size :mad:

The Night Safari was an interesting jaunt from what I recall (it's over 10 years ago).

We only had a couple of days so didn't have much time to explore Sentosa unfortunately. Did most of the rest of the main sights in that time though.

Edited by Toepoke

Thanks for all the info guys.

Although its a 10 day trip, that includes a Dubai stopover, so we are actually only in Singapore for the week.

The weekend is taken care of (Fri, Sat & Sun), due to all the street carnivals & concerts on around the F1 event, like Kylie, Queen and Adam Lambert, K C & Sunshine Band, Bastille and loads more are on at the Padang each night after the races, maybe not every bodies taste but it's included in our F1 package.

We have however booked a round of night golf at the Marina Sands Golf Club under the Floodlights, something different, including the unique PAR 6 hole at 730 yds long and the "Island" hole (tee, lake, green in the middle).

Travelling out of Singapore is not something we are considering once we get there, quite happy to stay in and around the city and explore.

Weather dependent we may have a "beach day" on Sentosa island.