Mark Mcghee- Report Card - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mark Mcghee- Report Card

Still early days,

But team looks fitter and they have been not only turning in performances. But actually winning some games.

Motherwell are out of the bottom 2. Can we climb up the table. Win our game in hand and we are pushing for top six. Bottom half of league is separated by few points. Except dundee utd who look like getting detached.

There were immediate signs of improvement, but there's been a couple of performances in there that were "Barraclough-esque".

He clearly still doesn't know his best 11, but I suppose he is willing to give guys a chance. Like the young centre half on Saturday.

We are a much better team when Stephen Pearson plays. I posted the stats on steelmenonline a while back, the jist was we'd gone from January until Barraclough got sacked and never won a game Pearson didn't play in.

Found it, this was stat at end of August..

With Pearson:

P-16 W-8 D-2 L-6

Without Pearson:

P-9 W-0 D-3 L-6

Edited by sbcmfc

There were immediate signs of improvement, but there's been a couple of performances in there that were "Barraclough-esque".

He clearly still doesn't know his best 11, but I suppose he is willing to give guys a chance. Like the young centre half on Saturday.

We are a much better team when Stephen Pearson plays. I posted the stats on steelmenonline a while back, the jist was we'd gone from January until Barraclough got sacked and never won a game Pearson didn't play in.

Found it, this was stat at end of August..

Let's hope Pearson doesn't get more time out injured then.

He's slowly winning me over

Law, Grimshaw and Johnson all look like better players

Just when you think he might be ignoring the youth he throws young hall in at CB and it works.

He's done some batshit stuff as well though and the games against Celtic and Ross County were shocking. Laing at DM and Johnson at LB come to mind.

Still it's early days and you'd be mad to judge a manager after 7 games. Hopefully we are slowly building into a respectable team.

Won 2 and drawn 2 out of 7. Similar stats for the next 21 would probably be enough for 10th

Best I can say about Baraclough is he picked up a couple of decent players. Maybe should become a chef scout as management is beyond him.

He seemed like a nice bloke, and talked very well. Unfortunately that was all he had.

He did sign some players that are getting pass marks, Louis moult is a goal machine, and Marvin Johnson is brilliant if he turns up, but he also signed some utter dross like jake Taylor, joe Chalmers, and some of his signings were just baffling as they were completely un-necessary like theo Robinson, David Clarkson, Craig Samson.

If I had the choice of any premier league manager for Motherwell Mark McGhee would be my 1st choice.

, Louis moult is a goal machine, and Marvin Johnson is brilliant if he turns up,

Some interesting, if completely bonkers, Steelman hyperbole going on in this thread..... :lol:

He seemed like a nice bloke, and talked very well. Unfortunately that was all he had.

He did sign some players that are getting pass marks, Louis moult is a goal machine, and Marvin Johnson is brilliant if he turns up, but he also signed some utter dross like jake Taylor, joe Chalmers, and some of his signings were just baffling as they were completely un-necessary like theo Robinson, David Clarkson, Craig Samson.

Right enough.... maybe assistant scout.

Spoke to an ex-player who played under under Baraclough down south said he spoke positively and thought they'd do well under him but over the next few weeks it became clear he hadn't a clue. Nice guy tho, apparently.

Ok Rossy give us over excited Well fans a laugh. Which premier manager would do a better job at Motherwell than Mark McGhee?

I'd be happy with any of the following in charge

Tommy Wright

Derek McInnes

Jim McIntyre - seems to have come good for County

Maybe even Yogi these days

Hard to say who would be an improvement though

Tommy Wright - Doing a pretty good job, should tho,took over a decent team and decent set up at Perth.

Derek McInnes - Bristol City flop managing a team who's fans have been complaining about how badly they have been playing most of this season. No thanks, they can keep him.

Jim McIntyre - doing great considering the awful start where most of us thought he'd be given the boot. Definitely got great management potential but wouldn't take him over McGhee... yet.

Big Yogi - average.

As you say don't think any would be an improvement on McGhee.

I was a little stunned when Strachan rehabilitated him after the Aberdeen fiasco. I really thought he was dead and buried after what he did at aberdeen. I cant see past it myself in that dimension and so I would not employ the man as a football manager (edit: at a high level I mean).

Edited by thplinth

I was a little stunned when Strachan rehabilitated him after the Aberdeen fiasco. I really thought he was dead and buried after what he did at aberdeen. I cant see past it myself in that dimension and so I would not employ the man as a football manager.

What I heard was the players turned against Mcghee at pittodrie as he tried to stamp out a drinking culture that was present at that time amongst the players.

What I heard was the players turned against Mcghee at pittodrie as he tried to stamp out a drinking culture that was present at that time amongst the players.

I cant recall it all to be fair without checking up but my memory is he acted like a real bairn at times. I would have cut him slack otherwise.

I cant recall it all to be fair without checking up but my memory is he acted like a real bairn at times. I would have cut him slack otherwise.

He ruffled a few feathers at fir park as well but re Baraclough being a nice guy doesn't guarantee you results either.

A really unpopular choice to replace Baraclough but a few more results to make motherwell survive this season may win some more fans round.

And here was me thinking it was because he turned up saying he'd rather manage Celtic, was a clueless, arrogant dick, tactically inept, in charge of some of our biggest humiliations, and blatantly lied about being spat on.

Cheers for putting me right :ok: