Kids Football 5+ - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kids Football 5+

My boy just done 10 am to 3pm with Brighton and Hove Albion in the community. He's absolutely exhausted but seems happy enough. He was the youngest thete by at least 6 months but just Watched him tackle a kid almost to heads hight taller than him. Very proud. He then tripped over the ball, but hay he's only 5! 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kmcca5 said:

My boy just done 10 am to 3pm with Brighton and Hove Albion in the community. He's absolutely exhausted but seems happy enough. He was the youngest thete by at least 6 months but just Watched him tackle a kid almost to heads hight taller than him. Very proud. He then tripped over the ball, but hay he's only 5! 

I shouldn't,but :lol:

Hopefully he just got back up and got on with it. 

On 18/02/2016 at 6:36 PM, dandydunn said:

I shouldn't,but :lol:

Hopefully he just got back up and got on with it. 

He did indeed. He also got most improved player trophy for his age group. He is quite shy and the coach said he really came out of his shell on the second day and that his tackling was excellent. Shame he isn’t sure what to do with the ball afterwards but as I said he’s only 5 so this will come with practice. It was very funny to see him fast asleep in bed still holding his trophy!

1 hour ago, kmcca5 said:

He did indeed. He also got most improved player trophy for his age group. He is quite shy and the coach said he really came out of his shell on the second day and that his tackling was excellent. Shame he isn’t sure what to do with the ball afterwards but as I said he’s only 5 so this will come with practice. It was very funny to see him fast asleep in bed still holding his trophy!

Good on him. He's still young,so still plenty time to learn to hoof it as far as he can,like the pros :lol:

Yeah,seeing them falling asleep with things held tightly is funny to see,I've seen everything from a golf trophy of mine,a picture of his deceased dad,a Spider-Man mask on his face and a Scotland flag wrapped round him from his first game. 

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

My son is 2 in a couple of months. He was born 2 months early though so that is taken into account development wise.

I can't imagine him going to anything like this. He would just pick the ball up and either run around in circles or try to eat it. 

Mine was like that at 2. Just keep messing about with footballs with him. Show him how satisfying it is to kick a ball as hard as you can. It will come. 

3 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

My son is 2 in a couple of months. He was born 2 months early though so that is taken into account development wise.

I can't imagine him going to anything like this. He would just pick the ball up and either run around in circles or try to eat it. 

That's been my Saturday mornings for the last few weeks!

:lol:

Your boy may be slightly young? My 2 1/2 year old started about 5-6 weeks ago.

week 1 was a disaster

week 2 he wanted to go to the toilet 3 times and I'm always wary of calling his bluff.

but by the 3rd and 4th week, there was a bit of a familiarity with the routines they do and he started taking part.

Reckon it's good for him to learn about taking instruction from an adult, waiting his turn and eventually teamwork and other such stuff.

There is a fine line between letting this age group play and also to have discipline while playing.

When i started to coach my sons age group at 5 yo, he along with 2 other lads sat making mud pies at one end of the pitch,  I thought what am i going to do with him and the other 2 lads ?

By the time he was 9 yo he was having a trial at celtic and now plays a high standard of senior football in the south of england,  his 2 "mud pie making"  mates also moved on, one had two seasons at Ipswich youth academy and the other [now 19] plays for a professional club in Canada.  

I am not sure if the mud pies helped !!!   but mixing a work/play scenario did'nt harm these guys. 

19 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

That's been my Saturday mornings for the last few weeks!

Your boy may be slightly young? My 2 1/2 year old started about 5-6 weeks ago.

week 1 was a disaster

week 2 he wanted to go to the toilet 3 times and I'm always wary of calling his bluff.

but by the 3rd and 4th week, there was a bit of a familiarity with the routines they do and he started taking part.

Reckon it's good for him to learn about taking instruction from an adult, waiting his turn and eventually teamwork and other such stuff.

That's exactly the way my boy was (& at the same place as yours I think) but the coaches said to me just to keep taking him along & he'll join in in his own time & it seems to have worked.  I think a lot is down to the coaching team & if I'm right, the guy taking your boys class is 1st class (and totally different when he's coaching a seniors team :lol: )

Edited by Glasgowmancity

29 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

That's exactly the way my boy was (& at the same place as yours I think) but the coaches said to me just to keep taking him along & he'll join in in his own time & it seems to have worked.  I think a lot is down to the coaching team & if I'm right, the guy taking your boys class is 1st class (and totally different when he's coaching a seniors team :lol: )

Yeah, "George of the jungle" is really good. He's had his best weeks when he takes it.

He's not been as responsive to the girls that take it, but they're good too, if he gets used to them, he'd be fine with them too.

i think you'd said that before about persevering, and when you see the next group up, you can see what the aim is.

i would've come and introduced myself to you the other week when you had your boys party, but  I only managed to narrow you down to 3 arm folded dads in the soft play.

14 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah, "George of the jungle" is really good. He's had his best weeks when he takes it.

He's not been as responsive to the girls that take it, but they're good too, if he gets used to them, he'd be fine with them too.

i think you'd said that before about persevering, and when you see the next group up, you can see what the aim is.

i would've come and introduced myself to you the other week when you had your boys party, but  I only managed to narrow you down to 3 arm folded dads in the soft play.

No bother mate - I was probably the crabbit looking one :lol:

The girls that take it have come on brilliantly over the last few months - especially Leigh.  I think it helps that they play football as well & that George is their boss & their football coach/manager.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2015 at 3:33 PM, Glasgowmancity said:

My Daughter is 9 & my wee boy is just coming up 3. Both started football at between 2 1/2 & 3 at Soccerworld (what coach is it you know Scott?). My daughter is now playing under 11's for Glasgow Girls & still loves her football.

The club my daughter plays for have just received their "SFA Legacy "Award"

My daughter is the one scoring the flukey goal after about 10 seconds :lol: