Happy Birthday Neil - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Happy Birthday Neil

in case no one has seen this.

Neil Young just Busking in Glasgow Central Station...

There is a 2nd part to that video where they interview people after his gig at the Apollo that night, which is basically some guy who is totally spaced out going on about Neil Young being this whole God like genius (which he is ;) ) .

Apparently that film was not suppose to be released.... Neil was going through a kind of arty phase and brought a camera man along on his UK tour to shot some stuff for a documentary he was planning, after a day of being cooked up in the hotel room, Neil told the camera man to bring his camera to do some filming.

After the tour Neil asked for all the films, which were handed over, but years went by and the cameraman had forgotten all about it.... then Neil released a video documentary in the early 90's and that footage had found its way on there (Neil is a bit of a hoarder and will not chuck out any demo tapes or concert footage he has ever done....that is why his Archive series has taken best part of 20 years to see the light of day)

Edited by wanderer

Parts of the film he made in Glasgow turned up in the Year of the Horse movie from the mid-90s.

Regarding the bird keyboard it's pretty much been a fixture on his electric tours since the 70s, to be called into action for Like A Hurricane. I mind Poncho playing at the SECC on the Broken Arrow tour, and he had it with him at the Playhouse a few years back but it was unused. Someone must've hit the wrong switch when the band were taking a bow at the end because the bird swooped down to the stage and we thought we were being treated to Hurricane, but it was swiftly retracted back to the rafters :(

I love all the mad gear he carts about with him, he's like some nutty professor. At that Playhouse gig he had an amp on a remote controlled skateboard that would wheech onto the stage when more power was required :-))

Edited by Toepoke

Parts of the film he made in Glasgow turned up in the Year of the Horse movie from the mid-90s.

Regarding the bird keyboard it's pretty much been a fixture on his electric tours since the 70s, to be called into action for Like A Hurricane. I mind Poncho playing at the SECC on the Broken Arrow tour, and he had it with him at the Playhouse a few years back but it was unused. Someone must've hit the wrong switch when the band were taking a bow at the end because the bird swooped down to the stage and we thought we were being treated to Hurricane, but it was swiftly retracted back to the rafters :(

I love all the mad gear he carts about with him, he's like some nutty professor. At that Playhouse gig he had an amp on a remote controlled skateboard that would wheech onto the stage when more power was required :-))

What was it he had on the last tour? He had a kind of Ipad attached to his equipment, which was clearly not working as he was bashing at it all night and giving somebody in the back daggers all night about.

Was somewhat funny when he went into his "thing" during a 30 minute guitar solo (not really a fan of the whole 15-20 minutes of whale calls) and would mess around with the amps with a little smiley face drawn on his hand that would appear on the tv screen behind.

What was it he had on the last tour? He had a kind of Ipad attached to his equipment, which was clearly not working as he was bashing at it all night and giving somebody in the back daggers all night about.

Was somewhat funny when he went into his "thing" during a 30 minute guitar solo (not really a fan of the whole 15-20 minutes of whale calls) and would mess around with the amps with a little smiley face drawn on his hand that would appear on the tv screen behind.

I couldn't really see that, although I was quite far back a that gig.

After the brilliant Chrome Dreams tour, I was a bit disappointed with the Horse that night. The OTT feedback nonsense didn't help, but it just seemed the band weren't as intense as in the past. Maybe Neil agreed, I notice he's been touring America with a younger band this year...

I couldn't really see that, although I was quite far back a that gig.

After the brilliant Chrome Dreams tour, I was a bit disappointed with the Horse that night. The OTT feedback nonsense didn't help, but it just seemed the band weren't as intense as in the past. Maybe Neil agreed, I notice he's been touring America with a younger band this year...

that is Willie Nelsons kids he is working with just now.

They recorded a album together earlier this year.