20 Years Ago - Scunnered - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

20 Years Ago - Scunnered

Stuzo

As it says, I started following Scotland with my brother 20 years ago during the euro 96 campaign thinking we'd be at most major football tournaments every two years. How wrong was I; we have only managed two. And after a conveyer belt of distinctively average managers and a mountain of well below average players I'm now scunnered. We play teams in every campaign like Georgia, Macedonia,Lithuania, Latvia, and the like( you know the kind of teams) yet we don't have a blue print on how we should beat these teams in their own back yard. Unfortunately the World Cup campaign will be no different( trust me) we will struggle in Lithuania and Slovenia, where Slovakia and England will win comfortably. So how can we expect to have a chance of qualifying when we will struggle to beat teams that are suppose to be lesser than us. We might get close but inevitably there will be no cigar!! What is the point? Hope? That's the cards we've been dealt? All the old clichés I'm just totally scunnered and can't be arsed any more ! I've spent a small fortune following Scotland to get very little back in return, with the only guarantee of no change in the outcome........... Heartbreak!

Guest faircity

As it says, I started following Scotland with my brother 20 years ago during the euro 96 campaign thinking we'd be at most major football tournaments every two years. How wrong was I; we have only managed two. And after a conveyer belt of distinctively average managers and a mountain of well below average players I'm now scunnered. We play teams in every campaign like Georgia, Macedonia,Lithuania, Latvia, and the like( you know the kind of teams) yet we don't have a blue print on how we should beat these teams in their own back yard. Unfortunately the World Cup campaign will be no different( trust me) we will struggle in Lithuania and Slovenia, where Slovakia and England will win comfortably. So how can we expect to have a chance of qualifying when we will struggle to beat teams that are suppose to be lesser than us. We might get close but inevitably there will be no cigar!! What is the point? Hope? That's the cards we've been dealt? All the old clichés I'm just totally scunnered and can't be arsed any more ! I've spent a small fortune following Scotland to get very little back in return, with the only guarantee of no change in the outcome........... Heartbreak!

What gives you the impression that Slovenia are "lesser" than us?

FFS you either get the gist of the thread or you don't! , as for Wales 58. N.ireland 30 years, are saying that's how long it might take for us to qualify again? If so I'll be 6ft under( probably) and if it's just , they've waited that long to qualify , then I really don't give a toss about Wales and N.ireland as I'm Scottish,. And as for wanking into a sock......well , that is a given my good man!

Count yourself lucky that you got two tournaments!

I was 14 during France '98 turning 15 in the August. Went to my first away game in '99 and from then on have travelled to many many games across Europe following Scotland hoping to get a tournament to go to.

Pretty much as soon as I was old enough to start travellng to watch Scotland we stopped qualifying!