Team For Poland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team For Poland

The Black Bra

Am I right in saying Mulgrew's best performances for us were a year ago alongside Brown in midfield? As has been discussed, Brown is off form and they don't play together in the middle for Celtic. Mulgrew has also missed a lot of games recently. He shouldn't start ahead of Robertson (or Whittaker) at left back.

Think this is the issue that the last couple of games has shown up, players should rotate based on club form, fitness, game time, etc., i.e. Mulgrew shouldn't play based on his performances a year ago. Not picking on Mulgrew, this goes for everybody.

Strachan can no longer afford to go with who he likes and who has played for him in the past. We look far too one dimensional and stale with the same 13-14 players he picks for every game.

We MUST start with 11 players who are in form for club & country at the moment and are hungry to play for the shirt.

I wouldnt be surprised if Russell and/or Ritchie start vs Poland. Both are in form for their club and Ritchie had a good game when he come on vs. Germany.

If Strachan persists with Brown, Mulgrew, Fletcher etc. who aren't on form, guys like D Fletcher, Griffiths, Russell, Ritchie must be left wondering what they need to do to get a start!!!

It really is a quandary and one I cannot decide is for the best.

Playing one at top with that being Fletcher who is so out of form worries me as a trend has been set in the last few games. Now if we persevere with one up top Fletcher is still the best equipped for that role but is woefully out of form so drop him and the like-for-like player who can hold the ball up is Chris Martin. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

If we were to go for two up top the only partnership I'd be comfortable with is Fletcher and Naismith. It is all very well saying which players should play on form but form at lower league level does certainly not equate to being international standard. And that is our trouble. We are woefully short of a top international quality striker and is chiefly the reason I feel Strachan lines us up the way we do. He has looked at our pool of players and has more faith in our attacking midfielders than our strikers.

Strachan can no longer afford to go with who he likes and who has played for him in the past. We look far too one dimensional and stale with the same 13-14 players he picks for every game.

We MUST start with 11 players who are in form for club & country at the moment and are hungry to play for the shirt.

I wouldnt be surprised if Russell and/or Ritchie start vs Poland. Both are in form for their club and Ritchie had a good game when he come on vs. Germany.

If Strachan persists with Brown, Mulgrew, Fletcher etc. who aren't on form, guys like D Fletcher, Griffiths, Russell, Ritchie must be left wondering what they need to do to get a start!!!

Agree.

He got away with it in the past where he could chuck in guys like Hutton and Bannan, who's club form might be bad/non-existent but could do a job for him for Scotland.

That is ok with one or two players, but feels like Strachan is now playing half a team of players who are out of form at the moment, and that is going to reflect on how the team plays.

Reached the stage now where he can either stick with his guns on picking players who made did a job for him 12 months ago (and hope it is not the case this game) or he can make the changes and drop players who are out of form for players who are on form at the minute.

TBH I am inclined to think that he will make small changes, but out of force (ie Morrison and Mulgrew being unavailable) rather than wanting to (thus Flecther will start up front again)