Bbc Lunchtime News Election Coverage - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bbc Lunchtime News Election Coverage

I thought BBC had to give parity to different parties or at least proportional parity in their election coverage.

Yesterday - 15 mins of election coverage - no mention of SNP except for one indirect mention by a Plaid Cymru member in a report on Wales.

Today - only 10 mins election coverage - no mention of SNP whatsoever but plenty for Labour /Tory/Lib Dem/UKIP.

Maybe they think by ignoring SNP completely that they will go away. Surely contravening broadcasting rules on pre-election coverage.

Am going to keep a close eye on Reporting Scotland to see if they've taken on board the barrage of criticism they got about their referendum coverage.

Won't hold my breath though...

Edited by neilser

In a UK wide bulletin you're going to hear a bit less about Scottish politics. I'd say this time the SNP have had a disproportionately large amount of coverage from what I've seen on BBC News, Newsnight, ITN, due to the significance of the vote here...

I thought BBC had to give parity to different parties or at least proportional parity in their election coverage.

Yesterday - 15 mins of election coverage - no mention of SNP except for one indirect mention by a Plaid Cymru member in a report on Wales.

Today - only 10 mins election coverage - no mention of SNP whatsoever but plenty for Labour /Tory/Lib Dem/UKIP.

Maybe they think by ignoring SNP completely that they will go away. Surely contravening broadcasting rules on pre-election coverage.

Do you not live in England? Therefore you can't vote SNP anyway.

Why don't you stick to sucking up the Hastings brothers instead of making more totally stupid comments on here. Why does it matter if I live in England and cant vote for SNP - I'm perfectly entitled to move back to Scotland at any time.

I was making a comment about media bias in case you didn't notice.

Away and shove your Watsonians pish up your..

A letter to the Herald noticed this:

IF it wasn't so serious the concocted outrage and panic at the thought of Scots exercising their democratic right to vote for whomsoever they please would be a laughing matter. When the BBC can carry an on-screen banner of "SNP Threat" throughout a flagship UK-wide political programme any doubts of media bias fly out the window and when the SNP are in effect accused of "radicalisation" of schoolchildren any semblance of reason and balance quickly follow it.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/letters/snp-are-in-line-for-a-severe-shock.121838894