Ripping Yarns - A Boys Tale - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ripping Yarns - A Boys Tale

I'm surprised you got to wear them, as we were always told we couldn't play with ally's on red blaze as it sharpened them making them dangerous.

Same here. It was more that the blaes gauged jagged edges into them. I've still got a scar on my knee that I got from a wee bampot from Weymss Bay when he was wearing them.

I'm surprised you got to wear them, as we were always told we couldn't play with ally's on red blaze as it sharpened them making them dangerous.

yes I remember some form of discussion going on about that,one guy took his out,not a great idea ,none of us had any trainers with us either as we had to travel in school uniform so they game went on.....

Couple of the lads in our pub team played for the same Lads n Dads team in their youth and would regularly reminisce about their various trophies. One of the lads had a season where he scored 50+ goals in a season. They agreed between them it was mainly down to the tricky left winger who had a wand and basically just crossed it on this lump’s big stupid napper 50+ times over the campaign. None of them knew who he was as he transferred after one season, hadn’t spoken much and was from a different school.

About 5 year ago one of the lads said they’d been clearing out the loft at their folk’s house and had found a team photo taken with a cup. Turned out the tricky left winger nobody could remember anything about was Robbie Williams. Just liked the juxtaposition that various members of this football team, all with mundane jobs in essence, tried to work out who this lad was for ages over countless beverages and ended up being the most famous living person from Stoke. Always wander too if on one of his nights out he was ever like ‘Bono have I ever told you about that season I had nearly 100 assists with half coming from crossing it on to this big stupid lump’s 50p shaped head? Never said “Cheers” once nor invited me round his mum’s for Crispy Pancakes or nowt’

Aged 10-11 I played in the local cub scout team. It was in the days before a proper league set-up and just involved one cub scout 'troop' contacting the other and arranging a game. We were pretty decent and I recall we went quite a few games unbeaten. Typical scorelines were 12-4 and the like.

Anyway we had a game against Fenwick who we had played and beat before. However this time they had a new player who was clearly 2 or 3 years older than everybody else. Fenwick horsed us (i forget the score) and 'big jock' hacked his way through our whole team due to his superior age, height and strength. Our committee (the parents) queried the Fenwick committee about their new player and were assured he was the same age as the rest of us. As we trooped out the changing rooms battered and bruised and into the parents cars to head home the lovely people of Fenwick came out to gob on all our cars as they drove past. 2 of the dads chucked it at that point, refusing to provide transport in the future.

We found out a few years later when the leagues went offical that big jock was indeed at least 2 years older than everybody else on the pitch that day.

I was in the 62nd as well, but I was 16 in 77 and had moved onto the seniors by then,was it srill the manny Deans that ran the team ? we reached the semis of the BB cup in 73 74 (i think) and got blootered all over the shop from a mastrick team......

Mr Deans was still helping out with BB

But by then team was run by Mr Bennett,Wyness

And Maureen ; future mrs Bennett

Inchgarth were good team then ; rivalry with Cornhill

I tried out in goals but hoyed off at half time

After conceding a lot.....

My early BB allegiance was with the 9th Rutheriston where my Dad was leader and team 'manager' ; they played in old wolves strip

Round neck ; I had the mascot version

Mind one time I didn't want to give the ball to the other teAm as their throw in

Amazing how things like that stand out....

Was their at start of garthdee gola champion street set up ; but never made the team

1 red ash pitch in Aberdeen I recall , by the cloverleaf in bucks urn

Mr Deans was still helping out with BB

But by then team was run by Mr Bennett,Wyness

And Maureen ; future mrs Bennett

Inchgarth were good team then ; rivalry with Cornhill

I tried out in goals but hoyed off at half time

After conceding a lot.....

My early BB allegiance was with the 9th Rutheriston where my Dad was leader and team 'manager' ; they played in old wolves strip

Round neck ; I had the mascot version

Mind one time I didn't want to give the ball to the other teAm as their throw in

Amazing how things like that stand out....

Was their at start of garthdee gola champion street set up ; but never made the team

1 red ash pitch in Aberdeen I recall , by the cloverleaf in bucks urn

Maureen Grant, Alan grants sister,

How old are you ? must be about same age,

62nds kit was the west ham one with 2 hoops round it,there was a picture of the team on facebook couple weeks back ...

I never made Garthdee Gola either, too many playas,Alan Grant,Tony Andrew,Neil Tough,Ronnie Coull,Kenny Milne,et al

Maureen Grant, Alan grants sister,

How old are you ? must be about same age,

62nds kit was the west ham one with 2 hoops round it,there was a picture of the team on facebook couple weeks back ...

I never made Garthdee Gola either, too many playas,Alan Grant,Tony Andrew,Neil Tough,Ronnie Coull,Kenny Milne,et al

Bit younger by sounds of it

49 next month ; ouch

Keith Grants da drove the team van

Younger brother I think ?

The old west ham kit was the change kit by then

We had moved into the claret and sky blue vertical stripes ; v necks min

Y Shed ?

Bit younger by sounds of it

49 next month ; ouch

Keith Grants da drove the team van

Younger brother I think ?

The old west ham kit was the change kit by then

We had moved into the claret and sky blue vertical stripes ; v necks min

Y Shed ?

aye, 54 this year,retire next september....

2 alan grants in garthdee, one the same age as me the other one you are right, think they stayed two mile cross,close to andy and gordon bisset, I stayed doon the hill on Garthdee drive,house looked onto the back of kaimhills kitchens, you might know my cousins richard and paul or colin and dawn gordon.

Garthdee gola of my era got to the final that year

aye the shed, chased the randal doon the misers ...nottttt ....

aye, 54 this year,retire next september....

2 alan grants in garthdee, one the same age as me the other one you are right, think they stayed two mile cross,close to andy and gordon bisset, I stayed doon the hill on Garthdee drive,house looked onto the back of kaimhills kitchens, you might know my cousins richard and paul or colin and dawn gordon.

Garthdee gola of my era got to the final that year

aye the shed, chased the randal doon the misers ...nottttt ....

Aye Paul Gordon in my year

Mate Peter Ireland was on your stretch by sounds of it

I used to work for Tom the tattie man RIP

Am back next month ; the kids go to Mestyns shop for sweets ; they are used to all the American crap; so real novelty buying curly wur lies etc

Aye Paul Gordon in my year

Mate Peter Ireland was on your stretch by sounds of it

I used to work for Tom the tattie man RIP

Am back next month ; the kids go to Mestyns shop for sweets ; they are used to all the American crap; so real novelty buying curly wur lies etc

correct for Peter he's a dentist in rosemount and his twin John is big in sports nutrition/fitness think he's in the states mostly,remember the tattie mans green lorry all open at the back,

Think Victor croaked it last year,

I'll squeeze in here - I was in a few of Auchinyell Sox Change's classes at Harlaw, so I know some of the names.

Both the Ireland boys seem to have done alright for themselves - I go past Peter's dental practice whenever I'm in Rosemount for a haircut. John seems to be living it large in the US judging by this:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnhireland

Good luck to them anyway.

On the earlier topic of older lads in teams I remember playing rugby at Harlaw against another school. We had a guy in our team who was 15, but had a full on beard and a proper deep voice, to the extent that the other side was convinced he was actually one of our team's dads...

Edited by neilser

I'll squeeze in here - I was in a few of Auchinyell Sox Change's classes at Harlaw, so I know some of the names.

Both the Ireland boys seem to have done alright for themselves - I go past Peter's dental practice whenever I'm in Rosemount for a haircut. John seems to be living it large in the US judging by this:

On the earlier topic of older lads in teams I remember playing rugby at Harlaw against another school. We had a guy in our team who was 15, but had a full on beard and a proper deep voice, to the extent that the other side was convinced he was actually one of our team's dads...

rugby ? at Harlaw ..never heard of in my day, tried to split us up one field day ended up with 6 wanting to play rugby and one game of 20 a side footie at the kaimhill pitches

rugby ? at Harlaw ..never heard of in my day, tried to split us up one field day ended up with 6 wanting to play rugby and one game of 20 a side footie at the kaimhill pitches

It was Ron 'Mannie' Lawson's idea. It was OK when we were playing against each other as no-one had much of an idea what to do, but was brutal when pitched against proper rugby playing schools like Gordon's or Grammar.

I can also remember archery, with the targets being set up about 40 yards away from a well used road between the Harlaw fields and the Aberdeen Wanderers rugby pitch and us being positioned so we were firing off arrows in the direction of the road - one poor old wifie must have nearly shat herself when a volley of deliberately badly aimed arrows came sailing over her head...

John 'Bluto' Baxter

It was Ron 'Mannie' Lawson's idea. It was OK when we were playing against each other as no-one had much of an idea what to do, but was brutal when pitched against proper rugby playing schools like Gordon's or Grammar.

I can also remember archery, with the targets being set up about 40 yards away from a well used road between the Harlaw fields and the Aberdeen Wanderers rugby pitch and us being positioned so we were firing off arrows in the direction of the road - one poor old wifie must have nearly shat herself when a volley of deliberately badly aimed arrows came sailing over her head...

Groats road

I was one of robin hoods merry men

And who forget being let loose with the javelins down the road in attempts of scaring motorists on the speed bumps with cries of 'Zulu !!!!'

correct for Peter he's a dentist in rosemount and his twin John is big in sports nutrition/fitness think he's in the states mostly,remember the tattie mans green lorry all open at the back,

Think Victor croaked it last year,

4 years on the tatttie van ; bit like David Jason to Ronnie Barker....

Victors ices an institution

And then the vans coming round with Coopey Baps......

Groats road

I was one of robin hoods merry men

And who forget being let loose with the javelins down the road in attempts of scaring motorists on the speed bumps with cries of 'Zulu !!!!'

Halcyon days - there were several schools in Aberdeen where you wouldn't have handed out arrows and javelins for fear of not getting them back again when the lesson was finished.

Having said that, it was the year ahead of us that had three guys in it who were subsequently convicted of murder...