Bus Regulation Bill - Greens Side With Red Tories - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bus Regulation Bill - Greens Side With Red Tories

Summary:

Iain Gray’s draft proposal, lodged on 1 May 2013, is for a Bill to:

“provide transport authorities with greater powers to set service levels for local bus services, including a power to group profitable routes with non- profitable routes before they are put out to tender with operators”.

Summary:

Iain Gray’s draft proposal, lodged on 1 May 2013, is for a Bill to:

“provide transport authorities with greater powers to set service levels for local bus services, including a power to group profitable routes with non- profitable routes before they are put out to tender with operators”.

Ta.

Did the draft proposal include costings about how the regulation system would be paid for?

I don't think I've ever seen a member bill with costings. The bill proposal followed the consultation period which it had public and trade Union support, it's then put before parliament with the question of whether they agree with the proposal in principal, if it's agreed in principal then comes the maths and arguments.

The bill outlined the need for strict financial penalties for operators not meeting service requirements when they are in receipt of public funds. I guess it would be paid for by Brian Souters tears.

I don't think I've ever seen a member bill with costings. The bill proposal followed the consultation period which it had public and trade Union support, it's then put before parliament with the question of whether they agree with the proposal in principal, if it's agreed in principal then comes the maths and arguments.

The bill outlined the need for strict financial penalties for operators not meeting service requirements when they are in receipt of public funds. I guess it would be paid for by Brian Souters tears.

Ah, right, I see where you are going with this now.

Ah, right, I see where you are going with this now.

It's the obvious answer in my humble opinion:). Not so long ago the SNP supported re-regulating the buses, then they didn't... Then they did... And now they don't. Edited by Scunnered

Did they have public transportation when he was around? :unsure:

Mary rode a donkey, not sure if it was privately owned.

Anyway, we don't have a proper Labour party, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was a great bill... As was their Living Wage Bill.

A great bill? I think you are getting over excited. It's a bill with merit that the SNP should be supporting, but just because you've found something the SNP should be supporting but aren't, possibly because of a bigoted funder, doesn't make it a great bill. No smoking in public places, gay marriage, etc are examples of great bills. Try and contain yerself eh. ;)

A great bill? I think you are getting over excited. It's a bill with merit that the SNP should be supporting, but just because you've found something the SNP should be supporting but aren't, possibly because of a bigoted funder, doesn't make it a great bill. No smoking in public places, gay marriage, etc are examples of great bills. Try and contain yerself eh. ;)

Only in some corridors or the SNP would that be thought true.

It's a great bill, as was the living wage bill :ok:

It's a great bill, as was the living wage bill :ok:

Having read through that link you kindly provided I still don't see how it was going to improve bus services in my area. The buses would still run late or not at all, they would still be overpriced, nonexistent after 2300 and the profits would still go to folk like Brian Soutar. If we really want to improve the transport system in Scotland the thinking needs to be a bit more radical than this.

If we really want to improve the transport system in Scotland the thinking needs to be a bit more radical than this.

Absolutely, but without a progressive government you have to take what you can get.

When the original bus regulation bill was defeated in 2011, the SNP and Tories rejected it citing "it wouldn't be legally possible in this parliament", after clarification on the issue, Gray resubmitted. Not sure what official line the SNP will offer this time round... If any.

Absolutely, but without a progressive government you have to take what you can get.

When the original bus regulation bill was defeated in 2011, the SNP and Tories rejected it citing "it wouldn't be legally possible in this parliament", after clarification on the issue, Gray resubmitted. Not sure what official line the SNP will offer this time round... If any.

Is Iain Gray really hoping to improve things with this bill or is he just using it to have a go at the SNP?