Any Mechanics / Motor Folk? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Mechanics / Motor Folk?

There is a scam going on at the moment where the robbers hang about in a car park, or somewhere, and disable your automatic central locking system. You press the button on the key to lock your car but it does nothing. A lot of folk don't bother to check that the doors have actually locked, they just press the button and walk away. The robbers just wait until the coast is clear and help themselves to the contents of your car. The moral is, that you should always physically check that the doors are locked before you leave your car. I have heard that some insurers are being a bit awkward about paying out if they suspect this has happened as they consider that you might have been negligent. Not sure if that's just hearsay though.

I do but i can hear the noise the locks made as they slide into place.

Aye, that'll work, unless the scammers come up with a method to imitate the sound of you door locks, which is probably too complicated for them to be bothered about. They rely on the folk who just press the button and walk away without checking at all.

I have always thought that these keys with buttons to lock the doors remotely are nothing more than a poncy gimmick. I mean, how hard is it to stick a key in a lock and give it a twist?