Visiting Gib - Gibraltar v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Visiting Gib

FANDABBYDOZZY

Might be best to get in contact with a local supportters club who are traveling to the game?

I had no idea how much of a trek it was until looking at the map, and seems to be you have to almost head up to seville then along to Faro, rather than just straight along the Coast.

I've been to Gib quite a few times when I was in the RN.

It's famous in the navy for one thing only.....everyone who goes there gets in the $hit!

After my last visit I had a closed door chat with the Captain, along with the First Lieutenant and my Head of Department. He wasn't happy about me being ever so slightly late getting back onboard. I mean, I was only 4 and a half hours adrift ffs!

I was R.O.B'd for the next 6 weeks. (Remain on board).

I missed out on Crete, Cairo, Bahrain and Dubai before finally being allowed ashore in Mombassa for Christmas!

Keep away from the Donkey's Flipflop (the Horseshoe) and the Hole in Wall and if you meet a naval nurse called Rachael......have fun!

I did!!!!

Been to Gibraltar 3 times, and have to say you are not missing all that much...... I called it "Saltcoats main street in the sun" for years, and when I was talking to someone else about it he said he had said something similar for years also after visiting (think it was Greenock he used as a example :-)) )

My mum loves going there for the jewelry shops (any time my Dad goes to Marbella with his pals for their golf week she gives him her shopping list for when they make their day trip onto Gibraltar)

• 4 months later...

Spent 2 years in Gib 81 to 83. Remember driving from Algeciras to Albuferia in hired car. Split journey up staying a night in village on border. Fair old drive.On holiday in October in Costa del Sol so may be a repeat journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Was based there in 94, when the British Army & RAF were moving out, and the Gib Regt were taking over all the bases. Heatwave, and the binmen were on strike. Place stunk to high heaven, in 50Deg, the locals dumping their rubbish all over the island.

Was at the handing over ceremony of RAF Gib, when the Raf Regt were all pissed on a balcony and jeering throughout. A few demotions the next day, I remember.

Don't have great memories of the place, seemed empty, 'cept when the Navy turned up, then it was just heaving wi drunken matelots. Only a few bars in 'Irish Town' (one street, 4 bars I think). We used to cross over to La Linea and drink there, or weekends in Finger-up-her, (Fuengirola).

All that aside, the place is iconic, and if you can get on a tunnel tour, even better if you know someone in the military there, and get to see the tunnels the tourists don't.