Kiltwalk 2015 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Howdy all.

I did the Kiltwalk this year for the first time and was really keen to do it again next year, even considering to do all the Scottish ones. I see that they are asking for a minimum £200 sponsorship this year rather than the £100. I totally accept that the money raised goes to very worthy charities but wonder if the increased 'minimum sponsorship' would put people off.

Any thoughts?

we were going to do it a few years ago, for the Local Nursery , but we decided against because a lot goes to their specific charity, rather than the charity you are walking for. 50% raised goes to your own charity I think....... don't know how much in total goes..

Im doing my 1st 26 mile walk next year. Done 13 last year and managed it. This might be more of a struggle :lol:

On the kiltwalks facebook page it's got people a little bit riled. 200 pound is a lot of money to ask, can see why they want more cash raised, but as u say might put people off meaning they might not financially be better off for the charities if less people are being put off.

How tough going is it? I haven't walked more than 13 miles yet, and in my head im capable of 20 nae bother but the last 6 will be a struggle, but i am going out walking 4/6/8 miles as much as i can.

I did it a couple of times when I was over 20st and found it comfortable enough.

I've done 8 Kiltwalks, 6 domestic and 2 treks. Get a few practice walks in leading up to the walks and you'll be fine.

Biggest problem is people choosing the wrong footwear. A good pair of walking socks and broken in trainers/walking shoes are what you need. No need at all for hiking boots (although the Dundee walk this year took in a forest which was pretty muddy).

As someone said above there's a bit of anger on their facebook page regarding the minimum target being doubled with a few seasoned Kiltwalkers unsure if they'll sign up again.

Having said that, it's a cracking day out and you'll meet loads of new pals, particularly if you do a few walks ?

There is a kiltwalk forum that tells you the best socks to wear etc. im trying to do as much as i can walks wise, but with 2 little kids its hard to fit in a full walk. Even try a few at 20 miles. My brain tells me i can do it, but it has known to be wrong on SEVERAL occasions :lol:

Thats amazing to have managed all of them. Bet the treks were amazing eh?

I've not done them all, I've done 4 Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee as well as Great Wall of China and Kilimanjaro.

China was immense! If you ever fancy a trek that's the one to do ?

The forums are good for tips but at the end of the day it's what works for you. Good socks and trainers work for me.

If you've done the 13 miles as you say then you'll manage the 26. Remember you sort of get carried along by the crowds, banter and chat as you go. If you're struggling I guarantee people WILL get you over the line. It's a huge difference from trying a 26 mile walk on your own.

Edited by McTeeko

Thats good going. Yeah, got a mate doing it with me, he is always good for a laugh and banter with but as you say will get caught up in the crowds talking and that should pass a few miles easily enough. Would be nothing worse doing it on my own, with 26 miles of that wee voice in my head going "are we there yet"

Edited by daddybuc16

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry. The glasgow one. Have seen photos of folk going past bbc building n that, just wondered where else it took you past.

Last year it started from the Hydro because Hampden was getting done up.

Kelvingrove Park,around the old transport museum ,out to Clydebank via Scotstoun/Whiteinch cycle lane,Along the canal at Clydebank to somewhere else and then by other places to Dumbarton and then on to Balloch

Edited by TartanJon

Its only because

Last year it started from the Hydro because Hampden was getting done up.

Kelvingrove Park,around the old transport museum ,out to Clydebank via Scotstoun/Whiteinch cycle lane,Along the canal at Clydebank to somewhere else and then by other places to Dumbarton and then on to Balloch

cheers :ok:

Why on earth are people still throwing money away to the Kiltwalk? Why not support TACC or the Sunshine Appeal. At least you know for sure where your money is going.

Its only because i have commited to it & it's a personal challenge given my fitness levels. I will be technically donating to tacc this week as well because i'm wanting a bucket hat :lol:

Its only because

cheers :ok:

Its only because i have commited to it & it's a personal challenge given my fitness levels. I will be technically donating to tacc this week as well because i'm wanting a bucket hat :lol:

You'll have great fun DB and there is lots of folk out on the route to cheer you along

Peever

There's 10 of us doing it through our work and we nominated Radio Lollipop as a chosen charity so they should receive half of whatever gets distributed to the charities from the money we raise.

Do the TACC & Sunshine Appeal do anything like walks,treks etc to raise money ? (I don't really know much about them)

You'll have great fun DB and there is lots of folk out on the route to cheer you along

Peever

There's 10 of us doing it through our work and we nominated Radio Lollipop as a chosen charity so they should receive half of whatever gets distributed to the charities from the money we raise.

Do the TACC & Sunshine Appeal do anything like walks,treks etc to raise money ? (I don't really know much about them)

Speaking for the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal, we don't do any "organised" activities like that.

We sell merchandise both from our website and from our new eBay shop.

But plenty of people take it upon themselves to organise events (e.g. Kilted Golf Days, Quiz nights) to raise funds for us. Indeed, one chap is running the Paris Marathon in April raising finds for us - https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/parismarathon

Edited by Flure