Ferry Security? - Germany v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ferry Security?

Geed

Hi all, travelling by Ferry for the first time ever this week as always fly, can anytime tell me what the security procedure is like for travelling? is it like Airport security where you get searched and frisked and only allowed a certain amount of mills on like liquids? any help be appreciated

Thanks

Just drive up to the check in point hand over your number and passports. 1 mins later you will get your cabin keys and your lane number to drive onto the boat. Then you will then drive through a wee security check point where you may or may not be asked to open your boot. Thats it.You dont have to empty it.

At the other end you hand over your passport, it gets a quick scan and your on your way. Last couple of times I've seen the bobbies have breathalized a few drivers.

No borders at Holland, Germany or Belgium, you wont even know your driving in another country.

Bit more of a palava at our end on the way back. you can sit in a queue for half an hour waiting your turn but unless your unlucky you dont get searched and all that.

I dont fly any more, much prefer the ferry nowadays. A lot less hassle.

No borders at Holland, Germany or Belgium, you wont even know your driving in another country.

Captainwull.. Your bit you mention re the borders between holland germany and belgium..

Was speaking to a lad in the boozer last week he said he went from amsterdam to germany before via road and rail and he said near the borders in small towns that there was police stopping trains and cars/busses etc and checking them all for drink/drug/immigrants

dont know how true it is like?

Captainwull.. Your bit you mention re the borders between holland germany and belgium..

Was speaking to a lad in the boozer last week he said he went from amsterdam to germany before via road and rail and he said near the borders in small towns that there was police stopping trains and cars/busses etc and checking them all for drink/drug/immigrants

dont know how true it is like?

Bullshit, unless it was about 20 or so years ago.

We usually take our own food and drink with us but consume it in the cabin. The grub ain't up to much on the boat and afa dear. Ye can buy duty free but they don't give it to you until you leave the boat. Never went by bus so I expect you will get dropped off at the passenger terminal and walk on the boat. You won't get checked for liquids.

Re borders, I guess that was a long time ago. We have travelled extensively by car this last few years and I've never seen a border post apart from Switzerland.

For anyone driving holland to Germany. There is no tolls on the route

4 of us on hull - rotterdam ferry tomorrow night.

Do you know what a pint costs on this ?

Do you know if you can take a carry out on or do you need to hide it ?

What about kilts as I remember years ago football fans were not allowed - is this still in place?

Cheers

BD

Think a pint is £3:80 but that's Newcastle ijmuiden ferry. Couldn't say what P&O will charge. We're on your ferry on Friday. Coming back Monday. Canna see a problem bringing on your own drink so long as your discrete with it and no sitting in their lounges with yer ain bottles on display. Seen plenty folk topping up their drinks with their ain booze hidden in bags.

We were on ferry to Belgium. Got our duty free with us,2 litres of Smirnoff for £25,we just discreetly drank it on the boat.

Also,we were allowed to buy 20's of fags from behind the bar for either £2.50 or £4 a packet,I can't remember exactly,but that was limited to 2 packs per person.

So just send up non smokers after you've been up :ok:

Hi i was on the ferry for the Aberdeen V Groingen game and on the ferry again on Saturday.

You get off the bus and hand your passport over, then get it back with a boarding ticket, straight onto the ferry with your bag, no security or checks and you get your cabin key, then down to the bar, £3.80 a pint, £3.60 a nip but can double up for £1

If you want to smoke you just go outside to the deck, u can take ur drink with you.

Buy duty free and you can drink it when the bar closes at its closed at 1am, thats if you want to stay up later that is