Playing youth - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A topic thats been talked about lots on here but started this thread to not derail others.

Something needs to change in the mindset of Scottish football. Ive no idea what realistically can be done though.

The "demands" on managers nowadays contributes to them not taking chances with younger players. Its got to the point of madness though. 

Other clubs are guilty aswell but taking the OF as an example of the issue.

Rangers playing a part time side who arent pulling up any trees in the 4th division away from home. Full strength team put out. Only 2 youngsters on the bench. Neither get on despite Rangers being 3 nil up. 

Celtic playing a highland league side at home. Full strength side put out. (Possible centre back being the exception, Polish 22 year old). 2 youngsters put on but only when 4 nil up.

If a manager cant trust a young player or 2 to start these games then when are they likely to be trusted to play?

The size of the squads is defo an issue. If teams have 27 - 30 fully experienced players on decent wages then these players will expect to play in cup games. Even when being rotated. This leaves no room for younger players.

Down in England clubs reguarly trust younger players in the league cup and early rounds of FA cup. Why is it so different up here?

Problem isnt unique to OF but other clubs do tend to play youth although its probably out of neccesity rather than choice. 

Nick Montgomery has no problem chucking 16 and 17 year olds into the Hibs team, absolutely delighted with this been saying for years we don’t do this enough. Obviously not everyone will be a success but I’d rather struggle with a few youngsters than half a team of loanee journeymen 

Rangers refusal to play youngsters is something that's frustrated me for as long as I can remember supporting them.  Granted they need to be good enough to play but surely questions need to be asked as to why we've not had a youngster break in to the team and hold down a regular spot since probably Hutton in 05/06.  Interestingly, I noticed Barcelona started with 2 16yo at the weekend!

Rangers have always spent money to have a large squad full of experienced players. That makes it almost impossible for a young player to get a sniff. 

If you look at almost any young player at Rangers, they have only been given a chance when the squad is hit by injuries / suspension.

King only got in when all the CBs were out, and even then Sands played CB for a few games before him.

Patterson only got in when Taviner was out and again Balagoun was tried at RB before him.

Lowry got in when Hagi and others were injured.

Devine when Barasic and Yilmaz were injured.

Every single one of them was rocketed from the 1st team as soon as the more experienced player returned, regardless of how well they performed.

59 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Rangers have always spent money to have a large squad full of experienced players. That makes it almost impossible for a young player to get a sniff. 

If you look at almost any young player at Rangers, they have only been given a chance when the squad is hit by injuries / suspension.

King only got in when all the CBs were out, and even then Sands played CB for a few games before him.

Patterson only got in when Taviner was out and again Balagoun was tried at RB before him.

Lowry got in when Hagi and others were injured.

Devine when Barasic and Yilmaz were injured.

Every single one of them was rocketed from the 1st team as soon as the more experienced player returned, regardless of how well they performed.

It's a tricky situation at times.  You have to be good enough to get in the team but how can you prove you're good enough when you don't get a chance.  Patterson is the pick of the bunch of those you've listed above but Tavernier is our best player by some distance so he was never going to get a regular run ahead of him.  King got a run of games but I think that spell proved he wasn't quite ready for first team football and it actually seems as if he's now being retrained from a CH to a DCM, similar to Ross McCrorie (who was also on the end of a couple of hosings in our defence when he broke through).  I'm actually surprised he's not been out on loan this season.  Lowry looked decent but apparently has major attitude issues and didn't really set the heather alight at Hearts and Devine just doesn't look good enough. 

I'm probably going to contradict myself here but I'm not massively concerned about any of our current youngsters not getting/taking a chance (other than McAusland) as I don't really see any good enough and the one that probably was (Patterson) we got a good fee for, it's more the historic and ongoing overall issue.