Shootings in Brussels. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Shootings in Brussels.

theabsentee

There's been 2 Sweden fans shot dead by a Islamist extremist, games been postponed & fans been kept in the stadium as the attacker ironically wearing a Ajax shirt is trying to take more innocent people out before either shooting himself or being shot by the police. Not confirming as I'm following online but it looks like he may have already shot 2 more😡

Horrible situation & Europe has to be on high alert for more of these attacks in the coming days/months. I'm sat in my hotel in Lille, we are very close to this so I would not be surprised at all if our game tomorrow was cancelled.

As soon as you venture anywhere outside of the Grand Place in Brussels you are in bandit country.

Even more so if you are advertising that you are not from there - Kilt, Yellow Sweden top etc

It is like Beirut

I don't think the game will be cancelled. I live in Lille and there was more of a police presence outside schools and universities yesterday but that was due to a teacher being murdered by an Islamic extremist the other day.

Today, I have seen no obvious increase in police presence. As others have said, Brussels isn't the safest city in any case. There are bad parts of Lille (where the terrorists tend to come from) but they're far from the stadium.

7 hours ago, adamntg said:

For once I’m pleased that what Ryanair call Brussels is actually 35 miles from the city. 

Yeh Charleroi, wise choice to fly into that city in the morning as it's certainly not the most interesting place to be stuck in overnight.

Good luck crossing the border, you'll need to be patient as I'm sure the control will be a lot stronger than normal.

4 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh Charleroi, wise choice to fly into that city in the morning as it's certainly not the most interesting place to be stuck in overnight.

Good luck crossing the border, you'll need to be patient as I'm sure the control will be a lot stronger than normal.

They can stop you at the France/Belgium border?

16 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I don't think the game will be cancelled. I live in Lille and there was more of a police presence outside schools and universities yesterday but that was due to a teacher being murdered by an Islamic extremist the other day.

Today, I have seen no obvious increase in police presence. As others have said, Brussels isn't the safest city in any case. There are bad parts of Lille (where the terrorists tend to come from) but they're far from the stadium.

Well I hope your right, during these high security alert times there's all sorts of possibilities , fake stadium bomb threats, terrorist attacks etc etc. We are also a high risk group due to our passports.

Don't know much about Lille, in Europe I've certainly seen worse areas than the Porte des Postel area where I'm staying but there's plenty French Arabs around here so no harm being a little bit vigilant I think.

Maybe I'm sounding negative but I'm just trying to be mentally prepared for what the day may bring.

13 minutes ago, adamntg said:

They can stop you at the France/Belgium border?

I came over the border yesterday though from Ghent not Charleroi & we had a 45 mins or so delay which I thought was just due to roadworks or a accident. It may have been another reason.

Just prepare yourself to be stuck for a hour or so as there will almost certainly be border controls. All being well you'll still be having your first pint by tea time😉