We Can Win This Group! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We Can Win This Group!

dezmondo

What a strange group this is turning out to be. Last week I was thinking we'll typically finish 4th, now I'm thinking we can actually win this group!

To win it what do we need to do?

- Take care of Gibraltar

- Beat Georgia away

- Take 4 points from Ireland

- Beat Poland at home

- Beat Germany

This would give us 23 points with Germany only able to achieve 22 points.

It may seem far fetched, and in great Scottish tradition we'll no doubt shoot ourselves in the foot along the way, but these results (Germany aside) are very achievable.

Are we capable of grinding out a narrow win at home to Germany? Definitely, and I'd say we are overdue a win against one of the big teams at home.

I know we are in no position to get ahead of ourselves, and its just qualifying that matters, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't have thought for a minute before the group started that winning it was a slight possibility.

I can't see us winning the group, though it would be fantastic if we did. I still think Germany will get their act together and win the group, i personally would take 3rd right now if it were on offer as i fancy us to win a 2-legged play-off right now.

That was my follow on question..... would anyone settle for third. I wouldn't have before the group started, now -despite thinking it achievable to win the group - with the group being so close I would probably grudgingly settle for third.

What a strange group this is turning out to be. Last week I was thinking we'll typically finish 4th, now I'm thinking we can actually win this group!

To win it what do we need to do?

- Take care of Gibraltar

- Beat Georgia away

- Take 4 points from Ireland

- Beat Poland at home

- Beat Germany

This would give us 23 points with Germany only able to achieve 22 points.

It may seem far fetched, and in great Scottish tradition we'll no doubt shoot ourselves in the foot along the way, but these results (Germany aside) are very achievable.

Are we capable of grinding out a narrow win at home to Germany? Definitely, and I'd say we are overdue a win against one of the big teams at home.

I know we are in no position to get ahead of ourselves, and its just qualifying that matters, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't have thought for a minute before the group started that winning it was a slight possibility.

admire your optimism , but have been through this scenario has been played out many times before

folk predict scores/points and have us theoretically in play off spot

where in reality we need to beat gibraltar by 16 goals in our last game and hope ireland draw with poland etc

although this is the most positive i've been in a long time , and like the other post says for the first time i actually fancy us in a play off

- our away game is the most attacking i've likely seen

admire your optimism , but have been through this scenario has been played out many times before

folk predict scores/points and have us theoretically in play off spot

where in reality we need to beat gibraltar by 16 goals in our last game and hope ireland draw with poland etc

although this is the most positive i've been in a long time , and like the other post says for the first time i actually fancy us in a play off

- our away game is the most attacking i've likely seen

A one nil against Gibraltar would be fine if goal difference doesn't count.

Would depend on how Germany fair in the rest of their games although would be irrelevant if we better their result against us.

Can't see us having to worry though.

That was my follow on question..... would anyone settle for third. I wouldn't have before the group started, now -despite thinking it achievable to win the group - with the group being so close I would probably grudgingly settle for third.

After Poland beat Germany 3d looks more attractive.

It's all ..........if yer granny had baws she'd be yer grandad! But what we do have is the advantage over poland as they dropped points against us, and we all know you have to win your home games to have any chance of qualifying,which as of to date we have,poland and Germany haven't. The game against Ireland is huge..........we have to win our home Games.