Scotland Attendances - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Attendances

Mitre

Looking through the historical attendances for the Euro qualifiers there.

For the 1968 campaign we had the highest out of all qualifiers (134k) for the England game.

For the 1976 campaign we had the highest out of all qualifiers (94k) for the Spain game.

Surely per head of population we must have the best crowd figures ever in the sport since it began? Quite staggering that 3% of the population of Scotland watched the England game.

I'm sure the World Cup qualifier figures will be even more lop-sided. Might have a look at them some time later.

Hopefully it's close to a sell out at the weekend and we forget (temporarily) the political landscape by concentrating on the game and backing the team together.

The political landscape won't affect the attendence or the support from the people there. Sadly the SFA's ticket prices are more to blame for the former. Hopefully the boys do the job and the crowd will get behind them regardless.

A must win and the crowds will be good the longer we are involved in qualifying

my take on it is the euros were classed as the 'league cup' in days gone by ; maybe until as late as 80s was it taken that seriously (on our shores)

84 is first time i mind it being televised live - 2 groups of 4

first few competitons i beleive were home/away or mini tournaments ?

the home internationals were by deafult back then the qualifiers for WC & Euro ; mindset of the time though appeared to be getting one over on the english