World Cup 2026 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've not seen this on TAMB yet

World Cup 2026 : Fifa reveals allocation for 48-team tournament

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39448474

This part stuck out for me. 50% of South American countries will qualify - mental

The recommended places for each confederation are:

• Africa - 9 (up from 5)
  • Asia - 8 (up from 4 or 5)
  • Europe - 16 (up from 13)
  • North, Central America and Caribbean - 6 (up from 3 or 4)
  • Oceania - 1 (from 0 or 1)
  • South America - 6 (up from 4 or 5)

There's also an additional play off spot which excludes UEFA. What if a S American team also won that - 7 S Amercan teams out of 12 in the WC ?

That's like Europe having 30-35 teams in the WC.

S America should only be 4 or maybe 5 at a push which they have now I think (that would be like UEFA getting 18-20 teams)

If there's 1-2 extra spots then maybe one for Africa and one for Asia ?

I'd probably say Europe "deserves" more based in FIFA rankings.

I missed the last bit in the article which makes this even worse re S American countries.

There are 12 countries in SA but only 10 in this qualifying section and they will now get 60% of their team in a WC (plus another thorugh the play-off maybe?). Mental.

"Conmebol (South America) has been granted six slots. Given there are only 10 countries in the confederation, questions have been raised over how to make qualification an attractive proposition to broadcasters etc, given the ease with which some countries will qualify."

To be fair, the 6 the best team in South America would probably be about the point they become a bit hit or miss.

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Colombia are all good. Ecuador weren't the worst team at the last WC either.

CONCACAF teams are all a bit hit or miss.

I'd fancy the teams that are 5th or 6th in CONMEBOL would beat most of the teams from CAF or CONCACAF, or New Zealand (who appear to have a feee pass.)