Tommy Wright - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tommy Wright

Ormond

It's time. 

Strachan should've gone after the Gib game. The wonders that someone like Michael O' Neill has done should have the clowns at Hampden pondering someone like Wright who has proven beyond all doubt that he has the skills to turn very average players into a great team. 

5 minutes ago, Mox said:

jesus weeped.

I was waiting on that. Go on then? Tell me why? Without the usual old pish about Saints being pish, he's not a name, etc. The last manager we gave is still our most succesful at a World Cup.

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I was waiting on that. Go on then? Tell me why? Without the usual old pish about Saints being pish, he's not a name, etc. The last manager we gave is still our most succesful at a World Cup.

taking a team like St Johnstone to the 4th best team in Scotland is a great achievement, but it doesn't make him international class. He's not a very modern manager, he's an old skool British manager and I for one have had enough of them.

He might not be a bad choice but would face some credibility problems with the players down south (just as Willie Ormond did), even though today's anglos are not as good as they think they are.

One of the problems after last night is that I think we'll see a raft of international retirals (some welcome) and a tendency for some players to withdraw from squads again rather than be associated with a tainted brand. As we as all the other qualities he'll need, the new manager will have to be strong enough to deal with that.

And even if Tommy Wright - or anyone else - is the perfect manager, we still have an appalling SFA set-up and a club system that's failing and a directionless youth system and Doncaster and Regan.....

There's no evidence from his career to date that he'd be good choice for managing an international football team. With the size of our game it's not a particularly ambitious move.

Regardless, Hanley was terrible last night and Wallace missing by his own admission at the second goal. Who's going to magic up new international quality defenders? For our national sport and size of support, why do we not have international quality defenders? It's getting pretty tedious this same pattern of fail, sack manager, get behind new manager, SFA coffers full, job done, next campaign, repeat. How the SFA board survive this long decline in quality and standards is beyond me. Is the only way to trigger radical action an empty Hampden?

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

It's time. 

Strachan should've gone after the Gib game. The wonders that someone like Michael O' Neill has done should have the clowns at Hampden pondering someone like Wright who has proven beyond all doubt that he has the skills to turn very average players into a great team. 

Totally agree.(Maybe not the great team part)

It's a step forward. Aye it's a gamble but a better option  than Walter Smith or Alex McLeish. Both had their chance and walked out on the job so them.

No saying that Wright wouldn't do the same if he made a success of the job and a EPL club came calling but I'd take that risk.

All I know is after an initial honeymoon period under Strachan we have gone downhill.

Only plus point from last night was that it was better than Slovakia