Tartan - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone recommend anyone of the tartan manufacturers above others. Seems pricey now. I can get a new kilt made for £100 in South Africa if I provide material/tartan. Strath more seem more reasonable although always seemed to be loch carron books I see laying around.

Guy got trained at Keith kilt school 20 years ago, so no drop in quality. Ironically my existing kilt got made by the master kilt maker who was the lecturer at Keith kilt school. So nothing cheap about it. Just taking advantage of rand devaluing 50% over last 4 years.

Guy got trained at Keith kilt school 20 years ago, so no drop in quality. Ironically my existing kilt got made by the master kilt maker who was the lecturer at Keith kilt school. So nothing cheap about it. Just taking advantage of rand devaluing 50% over last 4 years.

Mario Kempes may be your man ....

My Mrs says 160 is VERY competitive. Try House of Edgar (McNaughtons) in Perth.

Anything under 300 pounds for a kilt and I'd be sceptical. McNaughton was originally a Pitlochry lad. He had the patent to make Saints tartan for a long time.

Anything under 300 pounds for a kilt and I'd be sceptical. McNaughton was originally a Pitlochry lad. He had the patent to make Saints tartan for a long time.

£160 is material - although now looking their range of tartan is limited - Dalgleish with some old muted colours are more like £300 for the material

just speaking medium weight here - not light or heavyweight

£160 is material - although now looking their range of tartan is limited - Dalgleish with some old muted colours are more like £300 for the material

just speaking medium weight here - not light or heavyweight

My kilt alone was 250 pounds around 12 years ago. That was a standard medium weight. Edited by Ormond

My kilt alone was 250 pounds around 12 years ago. That was a standard medium weight.

mine was £275 17 years ago and the material was £70

as i said - i was speaking about material for a Kilt, not a kilt

price of labour in ZA is low, so kilt is hand stitched, and not machine stitched which is typically what a high street kilt maker would offer you for the lowest prices today

my 97 was a bit pricey at time, but this was because hand made by a Master Kiltmaker

Edited by euan2020

• 2 months later...

Kilt Maker can get a wholesale discount of around 30% and i can avoid the VAT - so reckon i can get Material as low as 100-120 GBP for material that would normally cost  220 GBP for Heavyweight - effectively 50% off retail price you see advertised from the Mills    

• 5 months later...

Eventually bought Heavyweight Tartan direct from Manufacturer for GBP 150 - Kilt Maker got me his trade discount - and then was GBP 100 for the kilt making itself - so all in all GBP 250 for a handmade heavy weight kilt 

Away to buy a zebra sporran off his as well know - he makes them bespoke 

Anyone interested can take a look at his site, and he supplies globally and makes kilts for pipe bands, and sporrans too  

http://www.afrocelticsporrans.com/

lot of african hides 

anyone that knows me, I can carry back if you want - so save postage, and i think his local prices are cheaper, unless he has increaed price 200 rand since spoke to me - likely he has budgeted poor rand rate into above 

• Springbok and black springbok
  • Kudu
  • Zebra
  • Eland
  • Giraffe
  • Buffalo
  • Ostrich
  • Crocodile
  • Bontebok
  • Wildebees (Gnu)
  • Rooibuck
  • Blesbuck
  • Nguni
  • Impala

Some more unusual one's - 

Although there is a guy in Aberdeen who will also make you a sporran if for example you have a road kill Badger type thing 

Edited by euan2020