Electric Boilers - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Electric Boilers

Thought this might be the worlds best forum for asking random stuff – the quality of replies on here is un-rivalled so heres one.

I've moved into a flat which is all electric, which is new to me and i've got an huge electirc boiler with an economy 7 programming box thingymajig.

Now, I get the idea that between 0000 and 0700, its cheaper rate electricty, and it can be programmed to heat up in the wee hours, that bit I'm ok with,

but as I'm a single bloke, and I only have showers, not baths, the huge 210 litre tank would take days to get through so here's my thinking. Hope any

of you folks who own one and know the strategy to keep costs down can follow this....

• Theres this 'boost' button, which gives a one hour blast. Is this length of time enough to heat a full tank?

• If I'm using say 50 litres a day in the shower, dishwashing, etc, this oughta last 4 days or so technically, but

.....is cold water being added to the tank at one end to top it up whilst the hot stuff is coming out the other (so im cooling a smaller amount of hot water)

.....what determines this? Is there some sensors which stop the tank running dry and feed from the cold (like a kettle)

• Does it really need all seven hours of running through the night to heat a full tank? Can I save a few £££'s by programming a 5, 4, or 3 hours of running?

Any other ideas welcomed...the more I think about it, the more confused my two brain cells get.

Hot water rises to the top of the tank and that's why the cold water feed is at the bottom so you always get the hottest water first then it will obviously get cooler , I would imagine the boost is long enough to accumulate enough hot water for a quick shower, was the dishes etc. What type of heating have you got?

Your shower will be electric - not fed from the tank but heated instantly as the water passes through.

Just boil the kettle to wash dishes, hands shave .... Put it on a friday night and heat overnight for the weekend if you are going to be home a lot for water .

Your shower will be electric - not fed from the tank but heated instantly as the water passes through.

Just boil the kettle to wash dishes, hands shave .... Put it on a friday night and heat overnight for the weekend if you are going to be home a lot for water .

My shower uses the hot water from the boiler and mixes it with cold. I would imagine in a modern flat though its going to be an electric shower?

You are going to need hot water for dishes, shaving etc surely so an hour or two through the night isn't going to break the bank. The boost button would be running on the day rate so that could end up being expensive.

Ye if he has a mixer shower he would need hot water from the tank. Also depends how well insulated the tank is as the water could stay hot for a good while. The on demand heaters mean when your cold you switch them on. Unless they are new fancy ones then they will be very expensive to run. Upside is that you will have heat when you need it rather than storage heaters where they are warm\hot in the mornings but by the time evening comes they have cooled a lot. My tip would be if you can afford it get gas in for the heating and hot water and get an electric shower fitted. If you can afford\get gas in then try and get at least the shower

I have a similar gas set up, a off tank that I'm heating, basically to wash the dishes and bath a toddler every other day.

The showers electric and I've got s dishwasher.

It seems very inefficient!

Also had conflicting advice on whether it's better to have the hot water on all the time or just set the timers?

I have a similar gas set up, a off tank that I'm heating, basically to wash the dishes and bath a toddler every other day.

The showers electric and I've got s dishwasher.

It seems very inefficient!

Also had conflicting advice on whether it's better to have the hot water on all the time or just set the timers?

Timer surely, for when you need it. The hot water rises to the top. If you have it on all the time you are heating a full tank.

Timer surely, for when you need it. The hot water rises to the top. If you have it on all the time you are heating a full tank.

No. the heater will stop heating at a certain temperature else it would boil the water. It will (should) cut in when the temperature goes below a certain level.

Guess it depends where the temperature is read from, top, middle or bottom of the HWT.

No. the heater will stop heating at a certain temperature else it would boil the water. It will (should) cut in when the temperature goes below a certain level.

Guess it depends where the temperature is read from, top, middle or bottom of the HWT.

This is the case for heating all the time, otherwise it would cool, then have to heat full tank again.

I did turn the thermostat down a bit on it, but going to check I've not put it in a range that could give us bugs....

The problem is, I don't use any water during the night, might use a bit in the morning to wash hands and dishes. Don't use during day, use in evening, but sometimes I'm in during the day....

My issue is probably more the size of the tank, it seems inefficient to heat all that water and only use a fraction of it. Should half fill it with sand or something.

:lol: