Help With Downlights - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Help With Downlights

Just moved to a house that a previous owner went mental for downlights - there's like 20 in the kitchen alone. Quite a few need replacing but I'm struggling to get the things out and in again. Took me 4 hours (and many sore fingers) to just do one! The problem is with the metal retaining rings that looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/oa939c6 I've watched guides about it and they make it look so easy and here's me struggling to get a grip on them with fingers or pliers. Getting them back in was lethal as they were pinging all over the place when I tried to use pliers to push them back in. The spotlights downstairs were easy to remove (but no easier to put back in) and look slightly different: http://tinyurl.com/otq7osv

Any one got any tips as to where I'm going wrong? Surely it shouldn't be this hard!

Hannibal is right,squeeze them together at the ends and they should come easily enough.

Depending on the age of them,the heat may be playing in a part and slightly knocking things out of shape,or the lamps may not have been put in straight before,they can get jammed if they go in at an angle and are a nightmare to get out again.

And I doubt I need to say this,but you're not doing them when you just switched them off? The heat of them certainly won't help you.

Edited by dandydunn

Yeah, that's what all the guides/videos say but mine's are really stiff or compressed too much. Can barely squeeze them at all with my fingers and they are not long enough to get a good grip with pliers. The lights are also the move-able ones which makes it harder.

Are there types without these metal rings? If these are so hard to change then there's not much point having them