Anyone Use Satellite Receiver Boxes? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone Use Satellite Receiver Boxes?

good and bad reviews please?

Loads to choose from and a big range of prices. Also not exactly sure what I'm looking for although do have s bit of an idea as a mate hot one last year. Seems there are quite a few fakes flying around so would also appreciate recommendations.

Also does it matter what strength my internet is? Trying to decide whether to upgrade to fibre optic or not.

Been into the scene for a while but losing a bit of interest for now due to the length of time it takes for the new encryption to be cracked.

You'll not go wrong with a VU+ Solo2. Fast MIPS processor and a decent amount of RAM for a dedicated satellite box. Two tuners so you can emulate a Sky+ box - record one channel and watch another.

Think you can get one new for £200.

If you're looking for something cheaper, I'd recommend Enigma2 software and a MIPS processor of 400MHz or more.

Either go for a multi LNB setup or a motorised dish for getting the most out of your box :ok: Also, if you're wanting card subscriptions, do lots of trials first and see which one is best. You shouldn't pay more than £50 for a year for all available satellites.

What about "droid boxes"?

Think there is a thread on these somewhere?

Guy in work did a cracking pitch for them, but looking for recommendations and further opinion.

Looks like you can get them for £30-50 from Amazon.

ive been told to get one with a keyboard, as it's difficult to work by remote.

Been into the scene for a while but losing a bit of interest for now due to the length of time it takes for the new encryption to be cracked.

You'll not go wrong with a VU+ Solo2. Fast MIPS processor and a decent amount of RAM for a dedicated satellite box. Two tuners so you can emulate a Sky+ box - record one channel and watch another.

Think you can get one new for £200.

If you're looking for something cheaper, I'd recommend Enigma2 software and a MIPS processor of 400MHz or more.

Either go for a multi LNB setup or a motorised dish for getting the most out of your box :ok: Also, if you're wanting card subscriptions, do lots of trials first and see which one is best. You shouldn't pay more than £50 for a year for all available satellites.

Cheers mate. It's a VU + DuoTwin I'm looking at. Site is doing it for £380 which includes a years subscription. £280 just for the box. Can you recommend anywhere? PM with that if you would prefer. Don;t mind paying that as it's still a LOT cheaper than my Sky subscription

Ok for the dish you've lost me a bit. Can I not just use the Sky dish I had? I apologise if that's am incredibly stupid question :-))

What do you mean in your first sentence BTW. Do you not just pay for the new codes once a year?

Sent a PM... :ok:

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my satellite receivers, LNBs and other related items.

Bought an Nvidia Shield Android TV which is a beast of a machine. SopCast & AceStream in Kodi for football are as near as HD as you can get if they aren't actual HD.

Will also stream 4k video @ 60fps and the games at 1080p/60fps. Reasonably future proof. Was sceptical about an Android box to replace my satellite, but very happy so far.

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my satellite receivers, LNBs and other related items.

Bought an Nvidia Shield Android TV which is a beast of a machine. SopCast & AceStream in Kodi for football are as near as HD as you can get if they aren't actual HD.

Will also stream 4k video @ 60fps and the games at 1080p/60fps. Reasonably future proof. Was sceptical about an Android box to replace my satellite, but very happy so far.

What did you use in poland mate? I currently have sky but doesnt pick up some of the channels and now im paying for BT sport wih hd and cant get the hd channels now

i can get the msising channels via amazon fire stick but none on hd

Top man

Had a read through mate will respond later as I'll no doubt have questions :)

Cheers though, definitely makes more sense now

I've got a Vu Ultimo. An excellent machine. Should work just by connecting it to Sky box and scanning for stations. However, depending on what you want to do you might need to be a bit of a geek to get the best out of these types of boxes. I've got all freeview channels without area restrictions, all non-HD Sky channels and also BT Sports HD and several other non SKY HD channels. Sky are combating card-sharing by pairing their HD boxes with cards but at the moment there are still lots of non-hd Sky boxes out there and that is why you can still get Sky SD channels

Is that because you feel Sky will manage to kill off cardsharing? I'm asking cos i was thinking about trying it out, as streaming the fitba in Kodi is good, but not all that reliable for me.

SopCast & AceStream in Kodi for football are as near as HD as you can get if they aren't actual HD.

Which addons do you use for this? Only occasionally can i find a good Sopcast link for my Rippl TV Kodi box, and even then the commentary is always in Russian. Do you use paid streams?