Is Tblisi Any Good? - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Tblisi Any Good?

The closest I've been to Georgia before is Turkey or Latvia. Quite difficult to imagine what a combination of those countries would be like. For anyone that's been to tblisi before, what's it like? No idea what to expect and I have a degree of trepidation about this trip. Are there interesting things to see and do? Will there be any bother? Are we leaving kilts at home for this one?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have greatly mixed opinions about Georgia and Tiblisi if you read another thread. Pretty much seemed like you either love it or hate it. I would have to say Im in the latter but believe we must have just had a bad experience of it. As a group it is the place we said we would never go back to. Saying that you will be absolutely fine in your kilts. My advice is stay in the main square area where the big crown of Scotland fans are. Dont drink any water, have ice in your drink or drink out their iced cups or even brush your teeth in tap water. Eat in McDonalds or a western equivelant if u can find them. Hopefully the team will turn up this time too.

I found the people unbelievably friendly.

Hotel gave us free wine. Wouldn't have us get a taxi to airport and gave us a lift. Someone after the game even offered to pay for our dinner as we were guests in the country.

Have to say didn't really find many bar's.

I'd be stunned if there was any trouble. Kilts were certainly no problem.

Is there an Irish bar on the main square that sells Heineken?

There is an Irish/American bar run by rebbeca. Spent most of my drinking time in there last time and will most likely spent a lot of it there again. Friendly staff, good food, and they sell Guinness. What's not to like. She( rebbeca) has things planned for our visit next month. Last time she put on free local beer after the game. I'll ask if they have Heineken. Bar is hangar bar Edited by tam4ritchie

I found the people unbelievably friendly.

Hotel gave us free wine. Wouldn't have us get a taxi to airport and gave us a lift. Someone after the game even offered to pay for our dinner as we were guests in the country.

Have to say didn't really find many bar's.

I'd be stunned if there was any trouble. Kilts were certainly no problem.

Without doubt, my favourite trip, and I've had plenty good ones. The friendliness of the people I met was just incredible. On one occassion, a local guy came and sat with our group for a couple of hours.When we went to leave and pay our tab, we found out that that he had already squared everything up.

On point of the "Tbilisi Tummy", I was effected by that too but only as I got back into the house. That, after having spent nearly a week over there. People were there for various perious of time, I find it strange therefore that everyone was affected on the day they left/just after they returned home. I have a hunch it was something people picked up in the airport bars/cafes or on the in flight grub on the way home. Just my opinion.

I cannot wait for this one. Real back and beyond adventure. The only one I can remember being this excited for was the Last Croatia game.

TBH I was pretty excited going into the Germany game (nearly a year ago). Less so for the Poland game, not sure why. I think the weather has something to do with excitement. I see Tbilisi as another summer holiday.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

People have greatly mixed opinions about Georgia and Tiblisi if you read another thread. Pretty much seemed like you either love it or hate it. I would have to say Im in the latter but believe we must have just had a bad experience of it. As a group it is the place we said we would never go back to. Saying that you will be absolutely fine in your kilts. My advice is stay in the main square area where the big crown of Scotland fans are. Dont drink any water, have ice in your drink or drink out their iced cups or even brush your teeth in tap water. Eat in McDonalds or a western equivelant if u can find them. Hopefully the team will turn up this time too.

Was speaking to a friend yesterday who used to stay there recently. They said the water is fine...no problems with brushing teeth or drinking.

Was speaking to a friend yesterday who used to stay there recently. They said the water is fine...no problems with brushing teeth or drinking.

From my experience is certainly wasnt at all. Was a good few years ago right enough so there may be a change. Every member of our group of 6 spent from a week (minimum) to a couple of months (no exageration) recovering from stomach upsets. The only consistent thing that we all ate or drank was brushing our teeth in the water and the ice/frosted glases. Mixture of vegetarians, fussy eaters, non eaters, beer drinkers and spirits so no other constant. I thought I remember being told not to drink the water for sure but could be wrong. Up to each person mind you.