Bbc1 Evening News - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bbc1 Evening News

Agree with Biffer. There is a obviously a long history of the best players from Wales representing (and captaining) England, and Glamorgan play in the County Championship. In addition there is now a Test played every year in Cardiff. In truth, I've never heard anyone from Wales express any sort of resentment at their having been 'rolled over by the English' re cricket. Robert Croft used to make throwaway comments about how he always felt he was representing Wales when he was playing in Tests but it was light-hearted stuff from what I remember. In a way it would be interesting to go to Test in Cardiff to see what the make-up of the crowd was.

Is cricket a 'thing' in Scotland now? In work the now you here a few folk discussing it.I even heard this one lad in a broad west coast accent referring to a player as a "hero of the edgbaston test". Am sitting there just about spitting my coffee all over the place.Naturally I think it's sh&t.

Cricket always has been a thing. Way back in 1882 Scotland beat the Aussies. A few weeks later the Sissies beat England in the one and only test match of the tour giving rise to one of the papers reporting that English cricket had died and the body would be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia. The rest is history...

I can't get what a fuss they make over winning a competition that only 2 teams are in!

It's a glorified friendly.

The rivalry between England and Australia seems a bit manufactured too.

Every England player I've seen looks like a posh private school boy.

I can't get what a fuss they make over winning a competition that only 2 teams are in!

Stokes? Anderson? Wood? They are a decent bunch IMO

Lyth looks like he could handle himself.

Edited by usainboltyarocket

Stokes? Anderson? Wood? They are a decent bunch IMO

Lyth looks like he could handle himself.

Aye, I haven't followed this one at all (I have watched the odd bit in the past and enjoyed it) I just think broad and cook, and they look like inbred public school boys.

:shocked:

Aye, cos we don't make a fuss over any Scotland v England game regardless of what competition it's in or if it's a friendly. No we don't do that at all, ever. Fud.

And if this is your idea of a stereotypical posh private schoolboy then I'll go with double fud.

800px-Moeen_Ali_Worcestershire_Cricket.j

Edited by biffer

Aye, cos we don't make a fuss over any Scotland v England game regardless of what competition it's in or if it's a friendly. No we don't do that at all, ever. Fud.

And if this is your idea of a stereotypical posh private schoolboy then I'll go with double fud.

800px-Moeen_Ali_Worcestershire_Cricket.j

You like cricket?

:lol:

Love it. Spent two days in Nottingham last week at the test.

Are you so closed minded that you can't appreciate anything other than football? :-)):-))

Not at all, I never followed the ashes this time, but have in the past, I like the IPL, the 1st season was the best, as id bet the Rajastan royals who seemed to play all their games on days I was off work, live on channel 5 and won the thing.

:)

Never liked rugby, but going to my 1st match at the end of the month for a jolly.

I like football, doesn't mean a lot of the players aren't absolute bell ends, same applies to cricket!

Not at all, I never followed the ashes this time, but have in the past, I like the IPL, the 1st season was the best, as id bet the Rajastan royals who seemed to play all their games on days I was off work, live on channel 5 and won the thing.

:)

Never liked rugby, but going to my 1st match at the end of the month for a jolly.

I like football, doesn't mean a lot of the players aren't absolute bell ends, same applies to cricket!

Fair enough, I was just taking objection to you labelling them all like that. There are some complete nobs (Stuart Broad I'm looking at you) but equally there are some guys who are just good, hard working sportsmen. :ok:

surely it is better the ashes as a headline than the Greek crisis or the latest IS atrocity.for those on here who think that cricket is played by posh ex public schoolboys you couldn't be more wrong. being brought up in Yorkshire i have a liking for cricket especially the limited overs game and i would rank a Yorkshire /Lancashire T20 game up there with a lot of football derbies and the bar opens all the match.

ian