Portuguese - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So, 25 years going to the Algarve, and I can barely say anything, kin embarrassing

Parents always said please and thank you will get you a long way. Can just about manage (the way they sound)

Obrigado,

Fesh favor

Bm dias

Bo tard

Duish Caneca

Think the Algarvean accent has it's own thing going on,maybe comparing a Glasgow accent to an Aberdonian one. Hence the 'Bm dias',doesn't seem to be vowel between the b and m (maybe an n and s's are to sh).

Any phrases I should know Algarvean style.

You think that Scots are better at learning foreign languages? Jokes.

We're at least making an effort now with the 2 + 1 scheme starting. Kids will be learning a language from p1 next year.

I have to teach French next year but at the moment I can only say hello and snails.

You think that Scots are better at learning foreign languages? Jokes.

I was pished being a twat, apologies, but yeah, give it a bash. I was speaking to a Chilean last night who told me it's much easier speaking south American Portuguese or Spanish than the ones from Europe.

I was pished being a twat, apologies, but yeah, give it a bash. I was speaking to a Chilean last night who told me it's much easier speaking south American Portuguese or Spanish than the ones from Europe.

Would disagree with that, Kevie. My faither struggled big time with their Spanish when he worked in Buenos Aries.

All of the UK is equally bad in language learning I think.

But instead of complaining about not speaking portugese, buy a book, or use one of the many websites that have fun ways to learn a language. No matter what some people say, you are never too old to learn a language and if you treat it like a bit of fun you will be surprised at how much you learn in a short space of time,

Also you have to genuinely want to learn it. If you don't, then you wont learn anything.

Edited by yourname

I speak Icelandic and Gaelic. Icelandic is probably better than Gaelic as I use it more, but grammar could be better, and both langauges are sidelined easily when you struggle as everyone in both areas speaks English.

It can be quite hard for people from English speaking countries at times as many times especially if you meet younger people, they will want to use English. And then you have the likes of the Benelux and the Nordics who all speak English amazingly well.

For some odd reason I tried learning Hebrew. Not Jewish and not an Israelite either, but just for the test. TY Hebrew from the library, lasted about 1hr before binning it, although they must have some Dundee blood as they say 'Ken' for yes.

Anyone else think Portuguese spoken by Portuguesers sounds like a Slavic language?

Yes. Was in Lisbon in April and thought that Watching Portuguese news and thought it was a foreign news channel but the words on the bottom were Portuguese, then realised it was a domestic channel as they were all speaking that way.