Can Anyone Recommend An Ankle Support For Playing Football? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can Anyone Recommend An Ankle Support For Playing Football?

Went over on my ankle about 8 years ago and was out for what felt like ages but was back playing a few months later. It has been fine for years but I blocked a shot about two months ago and my ankle has felt sore ever since. Just had two weeks of all sport and back playing 5 and 7 a side and it still feels weak and sore when I strike or control the ball. Someone mentioned an ankle support might be needed. They told me to avoid cheap sports direct type thing but neglected to say what type or where I should get one from.

Can anyone on here recommend me a good ankle support?

Have you tried strengthening it? Standing on one foot for as long as possible, progressing on to hopping on that foot. I'd recommend doing this to really strengthen the muscles around your ankle.

I also have an ankle support like this one, which works pretty well http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Gold_Ankle_Support_CoolMax_Technology/3121/39333.html

Have you tried strengthening it? Standing on one foot for as long as possible, progressing on to hopping on that foot. I'd recommend doing this to really strengthen the muscles around your ankle.

I also have an ankle support like this one, which works pretty well http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Gold_Ankle_Support_CoolMax_Technology/3121/39333.html

Not tried the standing on one foot and hopping, will start to do that today! Top advice! Thanks

Not tried the standing on one foot and hopping, will start to do that today! Top advice! Thanks

Don't try hopping right away! Progress to it. Stand on the one leg for as long as possible, it will strengthen the muscles around the ankle which stabilise it.

I've tore my ankle ligaments a couple of times. I've also found swimming pretty good for getting the ranger of motion back quicker after an injury. Although that may only be relevant in the first month or so after a serious injury.

Don't try hopping right away! Progress to it. Stand on the one leg for as long as possible, it will strengthen the muscles around the ankle which stabilise it.

I've tore my ankle ligaments a couple of times. I've also found swimming pretty good for getting the ranger of motion back quicker after an injury. Although that may only be relevant in the first month or so after a serious injury.

This is pretty much the best way to do it. Ive torn my ligaments about 6 times between the two ankles over the years and there is no easy solution. Ive had a few of the blue supports Boots used to sell and they worked pretty well, but you dont want to wear them forever. The one Parklife posted is probably better as it looks like you can tighten it how you want it.

best of luck getting it fixed, I still suffer with both ankles being more or less swolen all the time, although not majorly.

Thanks Kirk, To be honest I have been quite luck with Injury’s this one is the only thing that reoccurs, hopefully that isn’t going to set me up for one now! I spent a car journey talking about why I don’t bother with shin guards any more on the way to 5 a side, within ten minutes had someone’s blades dragged down my shin. The bruising has only just gone away.

If you're a member of a gym, check to see if they've got a wobble board (this kind of thing http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bcg-8482-wobble-board/pid-166855).just balancing on one of those for ten seconds at a time, ten times as a set of reps. and then progressing to moving it around from side to side, is also good for strengthening ankles.

I am not a physio and bear no responsibility for you fecking yourself up whilst trying this!

I tore ligaments in my right ankle. Ended up playing half a season with a lace-up boot type thing under my sock. It was white, pretty rigid and uncomy but certainly stoped the ankle moving in places it shouldn't. I think you can find them via a Google. At the time i was going out with a physio and towards end of the season she was taping up my ankle for games. That worked well too but had to shave my leg, it took ages to put tape on and it was pretty sore coming off after every game. Doing that two or three times a week wisnae fun. Advice above is good though - if you have time, forget supports (you can become too reliant on them) and stand on the bad ankle as much as possible. Swimming in the sea apparently helps too.....