Bad Start To The Day - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bad Start To The Day

The paper reviewer on Good Morning Scotland today said of a photograph used in a paper depicting Cameron and Sturgeon meeting on Bute House steps yesterday, "They're trying to infer that there's a bow".

I don't mind normal, everyday people getting it wrong, but I strongly object when someone who makes a living by using words mixes them up.

Bad start to the day for me.

infer, or imply?
Infer is often used as though it meant the same as imply, but the two are in fact quite distinct. To infer something is to work it out from a statement or other evidence that suggests or entails it but does not make it explicit (if he gives no explanation of his action the court may infer that he had no good reason).

To imply something, on the other hand, is to allow it to be understood from what one says without making it explicit (you implied that I was free to go).

Infer and imply can describe the same event of someone's deducing an unspoken message from a statement, but infer looks at it from the viewpoint of the person who does the interpreting, while imply looks at it from the viewpoint of the one conveying the message.

The paper reviewer on Good Morning Scotland today said of a photograph used in a paper depicting Cameron and Sturgeon meeting on Bute House steps yesterday, "They're trying to infer that there's a bow".

I don't mind normal, everyday people getting it wrong, but I strongly object when someone who makes a living by using words mixes them up.

Bad start to the day for me.

infer, or imply?

Infer is often used as though it meant the same as imply, but the two are in fact quite distinct. To infer something is to work it out from a statement or other evidence that suggests or entails it but does not make it explicit (if he gives no explanation of his action the court may infer that he had no good reason).

To imply something, on the other hand, is to allow it to be understood from what one says without making it explicit (you implied that I was free to go).

Infer and imply can describe the same event of someone's deducing an unspoken message from a statement, but infer looks at it from the viewpoint of the person who does the interpreting, while imply looks at it from the viewpoint of the one conveying the message.

How dare Cumnock infer you're pedantic and Renfrew Blue imply you're a teacher. Pure cheeky bams like, know. Although I seen that someone would do that and am upset they've did that. Don't loose your temper.

How dare Cumnock infer you're pedantic and Renfrew Blue imply you're a teacher. Pure cheeky bams like, know. Although I seen that someone would do that and am upset they've did that. Don't loose your temper.

:yikes3: