Russian Visa - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russian Visa

Does anyone know how easy it is and what to do to get a Russian visa and roughly how long it takes to receive it??

Different websites say different things. One is saying its a long drawn out affair while the other is saying you could have it within a couple off days!!

Edit: it's for a couple of nights before flying to Tblisi on the Wednesday

Edited by DoonTheSlope

How long you in Russia for? If it's only a couple of days you might be able to get a transit visa (which is cheaper and slightly easier to get).

There is a agent in England who will do all the leg work for a fee (name escapes me just now.... Holidaystorussia or something...) but sure someone was telling me recently that these agents are being clamped down on now and you have to do everything yourself.

Think comes down to how much you want to pay... Do you want to pay extra and have passport back in a couple of days, or just standard, which will be a week..... Would not say it's a hard process, just time consuming.....

Edited by wanderer

How long you in Russia for? If it's only a couple of days you might be able to get a transit visa (which is cheaper and slightly easier to get).

There is a agent in England who will do all the leg work for a fee (name escapes me just now.... Holidaystorussia or something...) but sure someone was telling me recently that these agents are being clamped down on now and you have to do everything yourself.

Thanks!! It'll be a couple off nights at the most. Basically for a walk round red square and the kremlin and that sort of stuff

You will qualify for a transit visa then (gets you 72 hours in the country IIRC).

Was researching for a Helisnki-St Petersburg-Tallinn trip few years ago and was something like if I enter by train and exit by train I get 10 days in the country, but if fly in and fly onwards its 2/3 full days.... IIRC all I had to provide was the application form, travel tickets and a letter explaining all my travel plans (something to that effect).

You can sort it yourself at the Russian consulate in Edinburgh. Think it took us about 3 days and was something like £80 to £100 each when we stopped in Russia for 30 hours last year.

You can phone them for guidance then go get the form. Hardest bit was remembering every country I have been to in the last 10 years.

Wouldn't pay a company to do it

Oh and you need sponsored for entry but your hotel should do that for free

once you book a hotel, you get them to send you the "invite document" you need this for your visa

you can apply for a visa via post to the place in London or go in past the office in edinburgh but you will be sending off your passport

you will be able to fill the form in online

you cannot roll up and get one , you can pay extra to have it processed quicker but it still took me 3 days to get the 'same day' visa

MOST IMPORTANTLY the question "what type of passport do you have ?" the answer you require is TOURIST - do not put official, diplomatic or other , it opens a huge can of worms as i found out

Oh and they will ask you to list every time you've been to a foreign country in the last 10 years

once you book a hotel, you get them to send you the "invite document" you need this for your visa

Are Hotels like these not worth their weight in gold? Remember I had to ask about 4 or 5 hotels when I was doing mine if they would supply one, with most of them not bothering to reply, or would just reply with a email saying to contact this agent (who was on commission with them no doubt) who would get the invite (for a fee........)

Are Hotels like these not worth their weight in gold? Remember I had to ask about 4 or 5 hotels when I was doing mine if they would supply one, with most of them not bothering to reply, or would just reply with a email saying to contact this agent (who was on commission with them no doubt) who would get the invite (for a fee........)

i went to St Petersburg and stayed in the Ibis and they no trouble at all

they build in a clause that if you get the invite and then cancel the hotel , they don't do refunds

We had no problem for Moscow and are going to St Petersburg next month and the hotel we got through booking.com agreed without problem. Agree it takes a few days to process, I just prefer handing in my passport than trusting the post as I would be scunnered if that was ever lost as I have a lot of trips booked up

You have to ask yourself - with all the hassle, why bother?

Mind you I've been to both Moscow and St Petersburg and am in no particular hurry to go back to either.

Edited by aaid

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a stupid question but I read on a thread either on here or p&b about Kosovo and if you travel to another former Yugoslavian country (which one I can't remember) where if you have a Kosovan stamp you will be refused entry in that Former Yugoslavian country

My worry is that I'm looking at going to Tbilisi via a couple of nights in Moscow and fancy coming home via Kyiv but with the troubles going on at the minute will the Ukranian authorities be doing something similar

I could get alternative flights via Baku but when am I ever going to get the chance to go to Ukraine again!!

BothBaku and Kyiv interest me but Kyiv more so just now.

Edited by DoonTheSlope

If you have a Kosovo stamp and enter into Serbia they will stamp over it with a Serbian one.

They won't deny you entry based purely on that.

I've also recently learned that Azerbaijanian Visas are expensive.