Polling Station Duty - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've just agreed to a wee shift at my local polling station door from 9pm to close of the polls next week.

It has just struck me that might involve observing the closing of the ballot boxes, is that likely to be the case?

Its not something I've done before so anything I should be aware of? I'll probably nip in to my campaign shop this weekend but thought the TAMB would be as good a place to look for answers!

Thanks, Scunnered. I'll have a look at that later - back to work now I'm afraid.

Just to be clear, (well, I think anyway!) I have just agreed to be a visual presence at the door, not what I would class as polling station staff.

Thanks, Scunnered. I'll have a look at that later - back to work now I'm afraid.

Just to be clear, (well, I think anyway!) I have just agreed to be a visual presence at the door, not what I would class as polling station staff.

Ah. If you're at the door with your SNP/Labour/Conservative rosette greeting folk you usually won't be allowed into the polling station while the presiding officer does their thing. My polling station has an off room where canvassers are usually offered a coffee & Tea but that's about the sum of their access. If you're handing out leaflets etc on the day you won't be allowed in the polling station during polling hours... Even to keep dry if its pishing it down :lol:

I'm a Presiding Officer & have been told that if there's a queue about 21.45 you need to give out raffle tickets to everyone there before 22.00 so they get a vote after the official closing time.

You'll probably be doing that.

Also, no leafletting within polling station grounds but look out for slabour doing that right at the gates, have past form and did it at the referendum.

That's interesting. Our polling station allows leafleting on the grounds but not within the building.

Your Polling Place is not applying the rules.

2012 guidelines, couldn't find newer:

(3) Canvassing

Canvassing or the offering of literature within the polling place is not allowed. For this purpose, the polling place shall be the building containing the polling stations. Where the polling place is a school etc. surrounded by a car park or playground, canvassers/tellers MAY be permitted to operate in the playground but outside the building so long as they do not inconvenience voters. In case of complaint they will require to confine their activities to the public road.

2012 guidelines, couldn't find newer:

(3) Canvassing

Canvassing or the offering of literature within the polling place is not allowed. For this purpose, the polling place shall be the building containing the polling stations. Where the polling place is a school etc. surrounded by a car park or playground, canvassers/tellers MAY be permitted to operate in the playground but outside the building so long as they do not inconvenience voters. In case of complaint they will require to confine their activities to the public road.

Well, well, well.

That's contrary to everything I've been told and known down the years.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, well, well.

That's contrary to everything I've been told and known down the years.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Of course this could be a recent development as you're, shall we say more "mature" than me? Edited by Scunnered

I find it just depends on whoever turns up from the other parties. If theres more than one entrance to a polling station it makes sense to stand at the door to the polling station itself, it might be dryer too. Ive had labour guys wanting us to follow the "rules" and stand at the outside entrance and others who are happy to do whatever makes the most sense. I generally find that Labour in our neck of the woods tend to only have folk available from 5ish when it starts getting busier. i was on a polling station in Cambuslang with 3 different labour guys who did an hour each, they were drinking buddies of the local Labour cooncilor and were on the promise of a couple of pints for their time, Only 1 of the 3 were actually Labour voters (one of them had voted for every party over the years including the bnp!). Make sure yer wearing comfy shoes as staunin around all day will make them ache. Im doing my local polling station all day and its a long boring shift!