Barry Smith - Manager Perspective? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Barry Smith - Manager Perspective?

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody got anything to say about Barry Smith as a manager then??? He was a few years in charge at Dundee and also spent some time (1 year?) at Alloa as far as I know...

Craigie

My abiding memory of Barry Smith is that he scored a goal in 2003 at Celtic Park, for Dundee, and didn't celebrate because he is such a huge Tim. Celtic won the game 6-2 so his goal meant nothing. Until a few weeks later, when Rangers won the title by one single goal of course. Cheers Barry :-))

In all seriousness he is/was very well thought of at Alloa. Yes they are in the relegation play off but he took them to a Cup Final this season. Alloa are very much punching above their weight in the Championship and the Cup Final, although they got humped, was a great achievement for them. Advocates a passing game and I have to say i was impressed by his attitude when they put us out of the challenge cup. When they got back to 2-2 he put another striker on and went for it, so fair play to him, many other managers would have been happy to try and grind out 2-2 and hang on for penalties.

Pretty sure he left to get full time work, but might be wrong about that?

Whose he with now ?

Very average player and manager imo.

He's manager at Aldershot Town now.

I think it's a bit unfair to write him off as a manager if you look at what he's had to deal with during his few years in management. He was thrown in the deep end at Dundee and did well to recover from the 25 point penalty. He then had to scramble for players after getting promoted to the SPL a week or two before the start of the season (due to Rangers going bust) and so he wasn't given a fair chance to prepare properly for the season ahead. As someone said earlier, he was highly rated at Alloa too so I hope it goes well for him at Aldershot.

A lot of Dundee fans (like myself) have a lot of respect for him. He wasn't the most spectacular player but he was a brilliant captain for us and lead the team to a Scottish Cup final.

He's manager at Aldershot Town now.

I think it's a bit unfair to write him off as a manager if you look at what he's had to deal with during his few years in management. He was thrown in the deep end at Dundee and did well to recover from the 25 point penalty. He then had to scramble for players after getting promoted to the SPL a week or two before the start of the season (due to Rangers going bust) and so he wasn't given a fair chance to prepare properly for the season ahead. As someone said earlier, he was highly rated at Alloa too so I hope it goes well for him at Aldershot.

A lot of Dundee fans (like myself) have a lot of respect for him. He wasn't the most spectacular player but he was a brilliant captain for us and lead the team to a Scottish Cup final.

Slightly surprising that Smith has been offered and taken the job as manager of Aldershot Town FC. The obvious question is what does he know about football in the English Vauxhall (now Vanarama) conference?? Probably not that much to be honest but he does talk a good game and he has promised to deliver open and attacking.football - something which has been sadly missing from the previous 3 managers of the club who have been negative in team formation and style leaving fans without much to shout about week in week out. I suspect that Barry Smiths experience of managing a side with financial difficulties may be a factor in the appointment. The purse strings at Aldershot are very tight, even more due to dwindling crowds over the last 4 or 5 years of poor football and a very uncommunicative board of directors often unwilling to take harsh decisions until it is far too late! It remains to be seen what signings Smith makes for the club and what players will stay given some have been offered new contracts but at reduced wages... and how he deals with his stated aim to be pushing for a play off place whilst operating on a shoestring budget (http://www.theshots.co.uk/barry-pre-season/). Personally, I think the fans will be happy to see entertaining and open football and the odd away win as he consolidates a squad that could do something in that league!!!

Slightly surprising that Smith has been offered and taken the job as manager of Aldershot Town FC. The obvious question is what does he know about football in the English Vauxhall (now Vanarama) conference?? Probably not that much to be honest but he does talk a good game and he has promised to deliver open and attacking.football - something which has been sadly missing from the previous 3 managers of the club who have been negative in team formation and style leaving fans without much to shout about week in week out. I suspect that Barry Smiths experience of managing a side with financial difficulties may be a factor in the appointment. The purse strings at Aldershot are very tight, even more due to dwindling crowds over the last 4 or 5 years of poor football and a very uncommunicative board of directors often unwilling to take harsh decisions until it is far too late! It remains to be seen what signings Smith makes for the club and what players will stay given some have been offered new contracts but at reduced wages... and how he deals with his stated aim to be pushing for a play off place whilst operating on a shoestring budget (http://www.theshots.co.uk/barry-pre-season/). Personally, I think the fans will be happy to see entertaining and open football and the odd away win as he consolidates a squad that could do something in that league!!!

I think he just wanted to be able to work with players full-time. That's why he quit Alloa anyway so I assume Aldershot are a full-time club?

When he was at Dundee he got the ball down and we played some good stuff (well until we were promoted to the SPL with little time to prepare). I think he'll do well and definitely isn't a negative manager. He can bring out the best of players that are at the club but I'm not sure he is the best at choosing which players to bring into the club.