Calcific Tendinitis - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone on here ever had this?

Facking nightmare, utterly excruciating pain.

Yes - very sore.

Latest episode started last summer and peaked over the festive period and into January.

I had no idea what was wrong except that I had injured the shoulder about 10 years ago. I finally gave in late January after struggling to sleep and put jumpers on. I thought I had snapped a tendon or something, doctor diagnosed it straight away and a subsequent X-ray confirmed Calcific tendonitis. He gave me some anti inflammatories but he said this would hopefully ease the pain but not cure it.

Then all of a sudden more or less overnight in early February the pain just disappeared. It was night and day.

Basically there are three stages of calcific tendonitis and the last stage which is the painful stage is when the body is finally trying to break up the calcium deposit. This stage can last for many months. I still feel the odd twinge but nothing absolutely nothing like it was before.

Never ever felt pain like this especially when lifting arm up and trying to put a jumper on. Was pleasantly stunned though about how the pain just went overnight.

Edited by StirlingScott

had a frozen shoulder sort of similar thing a few years back and yes the pain is unbearable you can get it if you are prone to lie on your side in bed it will take time to heal go away there is lots of shoulder exercises you can do if you go on you tube or failing that you can get the build up of calcium flushed out by the way of keyhole surgery if you have a few bob take care

Only causes I have read about are biological (not enough oxygen getting to the tendon) and wear and tear/previous injury.

70/80% of cases will resolve themselves although timescale for this can be months or even years. There are a few treatment methods but most reliable seems to be keyhole surgery when the calcium is sucked/cut out of the tendon - reasonable recovery time is a good 3-6 months.

Edited by StirlingScott

Yes - very sore.

Latest episode started last summer and peaked over the festive period and into January.

I had no idea what was wrong except that I had injured the shoulder about 10 years ago. I finally gave in late January after struggling to sleep and put jumpers on. I thought I had snapped a tendon or something, doctor diagnosed it straight away and a subsequent X-ray confirmed Calcific tendonitis. He gave me some anti inflammatories but he basically said this would hopefully ease the pain but not cure it.

Then all of a sudden more or less overnight in early February the pain basically disappeared. It was night and day.

Basically there are three stages of calcific tendonitis and the last stage which is the painful stage is when the body is finally trying to break up the calcium deposit. This stage can last for many months. I still feel the odd twinge but nothing absolutely nothing like it was before.

Never ever felt pain like this especially when lifting arm up and trying to put a jumper on. Was pleasantly stunned though about how the pain just went overnight.

I had it for the first time last summer but your experience sounds quite different. Mine came on very suddenly and the pain was so intense that I ended up in hospital the next day. It was diagnosed straight away and I was given very strong painkillers and anti inflammatories but even with medication I don't think I got more than two hours straight sleep for about a week...After that the pain went very quickly but I still couldn't lift my arm properly for about a month afterwards. Really hope this passes quickly.