Factor Late Fees - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Got my usual factoring bill in this week and on it there are two late fees, one for late payment and one for a letter - both at £25, so total of £50.

From memory I sent in the cheque after I got the red warning letter, but no real idea how many days, so could have been a week or two after I got that. So on one level they may be within their rights but on the other hand the penalty seems pretty steep - and I certainly didn't get a recorded delivery letter or anything like that.

Just wondered if I have rights of appeal or what happens if I don't pay up?

To add a bit of further context, I gave the Factor a cheque for £750 in July for roof work which they had cashed and the work is only being done this week - so at no point have they been out of pocket.

Anyone challenged this sort of thing before??

TT

Tell them you you think the £25 is excessive for sending a letter.

Note that you are charging them £25 for replying to their letter.

And that you will continue to charge them £25 for each and every contact (letter, email or telephone) that you have with them on this subject and, if they do not pay, you will pursue your costs through the small claims court.

If not, they are still küntz anyway

This.

All of them are kuntz. Bar none. Just sold my flat I had for 7 years and nearly every month I had bother with the factor. My personal favourite incident was them charging me £70 to NOT get the tiles fixed in the hallway.

Is is Hacking and Paterson?

They are küntz.

If not, they are still küntz anyway

Right first time!

Apart from cashing the cheque in July and then holding off on the work until December, they also came back with an additional cost of over a grand for removing TV ariels and Sat dishes. In the end we got our own quotes and had the work done for a third of the cost!

Kuntz of the the highest order!!

TT

My sister has been in dispute with hers since she moved in over 5 years ago. Her initial point of contention was that she (rightly in my opinion) reckons she should have started at £0, but they are trying to charge her for the time between the previous owner leaving and her arriving.

They send OTT bills for work they do do, and some that seems miscellaneous. Not to mention that her close always has lights out for months at a time, the secure entry doesn't lock, the carpets bogging and the walls need painted (and did 5 years ago).

They also charge different amounts to different folk as she spoke to her neighbours about it.

Will need to find out who they are.

Factoring is cartel. In any other industry it would be a breech of competition law but the shysters get away with it because they 'offer' the thin veneer of changing your factor if you're not happy. Trouble is if you live in a factored development it requires everyone in that development to agree to a change - and with many absentee landlords that's hardly likely to happen.

In other branches of commerce you can benefit from competition between providers - governments even encourage and enforce competition. Not with factors in Scotland because they are part of the system of land tenure here. Because they lump communal building insurance into their service you cannot benefit from deals on a contents & buildings insurance package from other providers. It no longer affects me as I'm not in a factored property but i hope for the sake of all the people that are held to ransom by these horrible khunts that it's something that's considered in future land reform legislation.