School Closures - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My local village primary school is under threat from closure and i am asking what would be the best way to help stop this, there are plenty if parents up in arms about this but have no way of venting this to people in authority.Are these decisions made at a local level? Or SG level and any advise would be apreciated

My local village primary school is under threat from closure and i am asking what would be the best way to help stop this, there are plenty if parents up in arms about this but have no way of venting this to people in authority.Are these decisions made at a local level? Or SG level and any advise would be apreciated

Firstly, I would speak to the Community Council. Get their take on it, then go from there.

I am trying my best i have one that is 18months and another on the way haha,the problem with our village is that there was a slump in school children as a result of the housing boom 10 yearss ago, young families were getting out bid whenever there were closing dates(which was all the time for a while) now that the housing market has cooled there are a lot more children on the go although they are not school age yet, it doesnt help all the council houses are privitly owned now

no wee school can close down without SG agreement. Local authorities plan and try to do this and the final appeal and decision is made at national level.

well that's what I read;

Local authorities (LA) run the education in their area and they make the decisions, although I'm sure appeals can be made to the SG.

Needless to say a fair chunk of the education grant given to local authorities is spent on 'administration' costs.

I remember Tony Blair once circumventing LA by giving extra money direct to schools because the local authorities would simply spend that extra money on themselves.

All LA have a chief exec drawing london average wages with a nice gilt edged pension to pot.

Edited by antidote

Has the decision been made by the council yet? If not, get a campaign started. There was a similar threat by Moray Council to a number of primaries and Milnes High School in Fochabers very recently. After a local campaign the council backed down last week the result being that Milnes will remain open and there is a 5 year moratorium on primary closures.