Rugby 7's - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby 7's

EddardStark

Just watching the Hong Kong 7's at the moment. I see the Home Nations are competing as one team under the GB banner. Must be something to do with 7s being in the Olympics or is this a permanent thing ?

It's all part of the grand Unionist scheme. We used to be quite decent at 7s and the better together types don't want us having any of that.

It the same with the curling. The World Championships are currently underway and we get no coverage whatsoever. The only time I've even seen it mentioned on the news, is when we lost 2 of our first 4 games. They didn't even report it like that. They just said we've lost 2 games and in danger of not qualifying for the playoffs. Since then we have won 5 in a row and qualified with 2 games to spare. Not a single mention on out TV news. Almost like it hasn't happened.

9 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Just watching the Hong Kong 7's at the moment. I see the Home Nations are competing as one team under the GB banner. Must be something to do with 7s being in the Olympics or is this a permanent thing ?

From what I remember it was a cost cutting measure to save the English, Welsh and Scottish unions money. Instead of each country having teams competing on the 7s circuit they amalgamated it to GB at the end of the 2022 season. Used to enjoy watching the 7s, haven't watched it since that happened.

21 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

From what I remember it was a cost cutting measure to save the English, Welsh and Scottish unions money. Instead of each country having teams competing on the 7s circuit they amalgamated it to GB at the end of the 2022 season. Used to enjoy watching the 7s, haven't watched it since that happened.

I thought World Rugby told them they had to do it if they wanted to play in the World 7s. I could be wrong though?

On 4/5/2024 at 6:48 PM, Orraloon said:

I thought World Rugby told them they had to do it if they wanted to play in the World 7s. I could be wrong though?

World Rugby approved it after the three unions proposed it to them. From looking back on some old reports from that time it seems it suited them perfectly as it meant they didn't need to relegate anyone from the 7s circuit that year since the Scottish, Welsh and English amalgamated into the British (yuk).