Munich Travel advice - Page 4 - Scotland v Germany - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Munich Travel advice

Jacob

5 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

We’ve booked the 01.29 back. There’s a couple just after midnight but with game not finishing until around 11pm they will be difficult to catch 

If ICE then price may climb. There should be regional trains though 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/22/2023 at 10:59 PM, macwomble said:

My thoughts are. There are a lot of eye watering fares on some of the routes I’ve looked at around game days. The whole German rail system seems to work on looking at potential demand and days of travel. Eg Fridays look dearer than other days throughout the whole year. So day of travel could skew your price. Also if you’ve already got at least 25,000 Scotland fans all looking to get from Munich to Cologne between games in addition to normal travellers, there is no way that everyone will get on trains at the times and/or at the cheap prices that everyone would like. Some of the fares released so far are also in to the €29 and €39 price ranges. So why not buy? In addition only 2 tickets can be bought with each match ticket and you get automatic seat reservations with these. (The tickets I’ve bought in the last week with automatic reservations don’t allow you to choose your seats but allocate you an unchangeable seat). It may then be a bit more hassle for bigger groups to get organised to buy tickets and also to get everyone to sit together on the train  unless the system allows  you to book multiple Euro 2024 train tickets together in one transaction and/or allow you to choose seats. 

I chose seats on my Euro 24 Ice train. I went first class though. Wonder if that’s the difference?

it was dirt cheap on our train Düsseldorf to Stuttgart on the Saturday before our game. 

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

On 3/12/2024 at 9:09 AM, stirlish said:

Staying in Augsburg , and wondering whether to head back after the match or stay a couple of hours in Munich.

Trains seem to be filling up and prices have gone up from €10 to €20 on some trains, this will probably double again nearer matchday. 

I am staying in Augsburg tae, Munich was tae expensive for me- I have booked Ice train at 01.15 after match but also going to buy the Deutschlandticket so I can use over the month of June, giving me the option of S Bahn trains out of Munich if I miss the 01.15 train

I am expecting huge queue after match at Frottmaning metro but hoping German efficiency will get the metro trains moving quickly…. Looking at Bayern Munich forums, the games are all sold out & so the crowd at the metro will be the same & people indicate crowd/queue has usually gone in an hour after match.

Flight to Frankfurt arrives at 9pm.

Booked train from airport to Augsburg that leaves at around midnight/ change at Frankfurt.

Would we be able to jump into Frankfurt early, rather than hanging around the airport station?

The tickets are train specific, but only want to jump on for 10 mins  from airport and grab some food at the HBF.

1 hour ago, stirlish said:

Booked train from airport to Augsburg that leaves at around midnight/ change at Frankfurt.

Would we be able to jump into Frankfurt early, rather than hanging around the airport station?

The tickets are train specific, but only want to jump on for 10 mins  from airport and grab some food at the HBF.

Go to the regional station at the airport and get a local train to Frankfurt Hbf. Takes +/- 13 minutes. 

There are quite a few places for getting something to eat, as well as a supermarket at the long-distance station, but doubt they'll be open after 9:00pm.

2 hours ago, stirlish said:

Friends in to Frakfurt at 6pm.  Getting the airport train direct to munchen, just over 3 hrs @ €35

3 hours ago, stirlish said:

Should be fine. Play the happy hooligans card and everyone will love you as a Scotland fan 😎

2 hours ago, SteveMcD said:

Go to the regional station at the airport and get a local train to Frankfurt Hbf. Takes +/- 13 minutes. 

There are quite a few places for getting something to eat, as well as a supermarket at the long-distance station, but doubt they'll be open after 9:00pm.

Rewe is closed at night. The one within Cologne airport is 24/7

• 3 weeks later...