Driving Licence Address - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Driving Licence Address

Changed mine after not being at the address on my licence for twenty years (or possibly more), no fine, no suggestion of a fine.

TT

you can be fined up to £1000 for not having the right address BUT this only really comes in if you are involved in an accident/crash etc. as others have said the dvla dont know when you moved so dont worry about getting fined

Do you get fined for not updating the DVLA if you send your driving licence in with a new address some time after moving?!

Fill the new address bit in at bottom of paper licence. Post off wi Photo part and it is free. I do it as soon as I move. Returns very quick. You do not need to worry then.

I still have a green driving licence and was thinking of changing it soon....need to hire a car in the US and believe they need a photy one?

They need photo ID but I think that can be your passport. You should check that. Even if you have a photo licence you have to show them the paper part as well.

I ask this question as about twice a year I get a wee fright about not having up to date licence. Still haven't got one as cannot for life of me remember address I was living at when I passed my test and I'm sure it asks you this on the form.

I ask this question as about twice a year I get a wee fright about not having up to date licence. Still haven't got one as cannot for life of me remember address I was living at when I passed my test and I'm sure it asks you this on the form.

It's on your license!

You're meant to have an "International Driving Permit" to hire a car in the USA, the enforcement of this on the other hand...

Not according to the US Embassy

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

Most car rental companies require that you have held a full license for at least one year, regardless of age. The minimum age for renting a car is normally 21 although it can be as high as 25. Often an additional charge is levied on drivers who are under 25 years of age.

International Driving Permits (see: postofffice.co.uk) are generally not required in the U.S.A but it is helpful to carry one. If they are taken, they are only valid in conjunction with a full national driving license. They should not be accepted on their own. It is recommended that drivers who possess a full national license that is in script other than Roman, i.e. Cyrillic or Arabic, should also obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

TT

Orra's a bampot but at least he understands my plight! :P

I don't think you need to know the address you were at when you passed the test. If you have problems remembering your current address, then I could see how that might cause problems. You only need to know where you have lived for the past 3 years.

I don't think you need to know the address you were at when you passed the test. If you have problems remembering your current address, then I could see how that might cause problems. You only need to know where you have lived for the past 3 years.

I tried to fill form online and they asked for address on my licence. I think someone said if I had new style passport it would make it easier to get new licence. Then again I may have made that up as I've no idea how that could be.

3 years ago I was still impersonating a Filipino slave/servant and living in a cave behind the waterfall in Lord Flure's estate.

I tried to fill form online and they asked for address on my licence. I think someone said if I had new style passport it would make it easier to get new licence. Then again I may have made that up as I've no idea how that could be.

3 years ago I was still impersonating a Filipino slave/servant and living in a cave behind the waterfall in Lord Flure's estate.

Do you think Flure might remember the address?

You could try phoning them. You should be OK if you have your National Insurance number and your driver number - which you can work out from your name and date of birth, assuming you can remember what they are.

Do you think Flure might remember the address?

You could try phoning them. You should be OK if you have your National Insurance number and your driver number - which you can work out from your name and date of birth, assuming you can remember what they are.

That's it, the driver number thingy, fecking nightmare. It's not just those things it's lots of number things you have to work out. I did phone them after last wee fright but they kept asking really hard questions like, "can you remember the house number of the address you think you were living at or post code" " can you remember the area you passed your test?" Honest to goodness I felt like Violette Szabo. Who remembers these things?