Some general info about Cologne - Page 3 - Scotland v Switzerland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Some general info about Cologne

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/13/2024 at 5:26 PM, BoogieWoogie said:

Im in Hotel Santo in Eigelstein-Viertel, any advice on the area, I arrive pretty early in the AM? Seems like its near the fan zone, though going to the game so maybe out towards the stadium is better for day beers. 

Hi mate, Eigelstein ist perfect. It's very close to central station, some pubs and bars on Eigelstein. Has been more of a shady red light area few decades ago. Some of that you will still find but the reputation changed. Definitely totally in plenty city centre. Fan zone in old town walkable If you arrive early AM match day, you will find bars to drink until you check in.

Getting from old town to stadium is very easy. Line no 1 will bring you from station Heumarkt to stadium within 20-22 minutes. I would recommend to stay in town centre. Only good place to have a drink with a big group between stadium and town is beergarden at Aachener Weiher. But that place is closer to town than stadium. There are a few bars on Aachener Str. (the street from town to stadium) but nothing major until one stop before stadium. At "Alter Militärring" you will find few bigger pubs and bars. This is where usually the majority of home fans drink before the game.

Again, my final recommendation is to enjoy the day in town (old town, Zulpicher Street or beer garden Aachener Weiher) and then make it to the stadium with line no 1.

Cheers,

On 3/12/2024 at 11:59 AM, Kemp6103 said:

The Motel One Waidmarket in the center of Cologne has double rooms available 18/19th June for £133 per night.

I have a booking at Motel One Koln Messe (free cancellation) so trying to work out if the Waidmarket one is a better or worse location?!

1 hour ago, Tartan Terriers said:

I have a booking at Motel One Koln Messe (free cancellation) so trying to work out if the Waidmarket one is a better or worse location?!

I would say Waidmarkt a wee bit better mate. You are more central and in good walking distance to old town. Köln Messe is not far from city centre but across the river of old town and you would need a tram ride from there to centre that takes up to ten minutes. If you have the choice, go with the one at Waidmarkt mate.

3 hours ago, slasher said:

I’m in an apartment for the night in Weseler Strasse, Nippes. Is that much out of the town centre? Also, is the bolt app widely used in Germany?

Don’t know about Bolt as I never use stuff like that. Nippes is quite close to town centre. Trams 12 and 15 will take you to town 

38 minutes ago, TA-West Germany said:

Don’t know about Bolt as I never use stuff like that. Nippes is quite close to town centre. Trams 12 and 15 will take you to town 

Cheers TAWG great info 👍

Bolt is a great wee app for cheap taxis. I’ve used it a fair bit in France & Spain just wasn’t sure if it had taken off in the same way in Germany.

Thanks again.

12 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

I would say Waidmarkt a wee bit better mate. You are more central and in good walking distance to old town. Köln Messe is not far from city centre but across the river of old town and you would need a tram ride from there to centre that takes up to ten minutes. If you have the choice, go with the one at Waidmarkt mate.

Thanks for the info, available for the same price as I got the other one for so think I will switch. Seems slightly more central!

On 3/14/2024 at 5:46 PM, TA-West Germany said:

Hi mate, Eigelstein ist perfect. It's very close to central station, some pubs and bars on Eigelstein. Has been more of a shady red light area few decades ago. Some of that you will still find but the reputation changed. Definitely totally in plenty city centre. Fan zone in old town walkable If you arrive early AM match day, you will find bars to drink until you check in.

Getting from old town to stadium is very easy. Line no 1 will bring you from station Heumarkt to stadium within 20-22 minutes. I would recommend to stay in town centre. Only good place to have a drink with a big group between stadium and town is beergarden at Aachener Weiher. But that place is closer to town than stadium. There are a few bars on Aachener Str. (the street from town to stadium) but nothing major until one stop before stadium. At "Alter Militärring" you will find few bigger pubs and bars. This is where usually the majority of home fans drink before the game.

Again, my final recommendation is to enjoy the day in town (old town, Zulpicher Street or beer garden Aachener Weiher) and then make it to the stadium with line no 1.

Cheers,

Brilliant, thanks for the info, super helpful - you've planned my day for me!

@TA-West Germany, first off wanted to say a huge thanks for all the info you've posted it's been a massive help to me already. I'm currently weighing up accommodation options, which is unsurprisingly limited by now. I'm looking at Duisburg or the south of Bonn, around Bad Godesberg. Have you got any insights you can share on either of those? Which would be better for travelling to/from Cologne? Better for bars/restaurants etc? TIA

13 hours ago, Pluto said:

@TA-West Germany, first off wanted to say a huge thanks for all the info you've posted it's been a massive help to me already. I'm currently weighing up accommodation options, which is unsurprisingly limited by now. I'm looking at Duisburg or the south of Bonn, around Bad Godesberg. Have you got any insights you can share on either of those? Which would be better for travelling to/from Cologne? Better for bars/restaurants etc? TIA

Bad Godesberg is a nice area. Mostly. Quite some bars etc. Also, getting to Cologne is easy from there. Duisburg bit more far away. You have to cross Dusseldorf to get to Cologne. If I would be to choose between the two I would go with Bad Godesberg. No bother for the help, happy to help as I know the region.

• 2 weeks later...