Retro Tracksuit Top - Argentina 1978 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Retro Tracksuit Top - Argentina 1978

Ray

During the last couple of games, noticed a few people wearing what looked to be a retro copy of this tracksuit top from 1978, and thought it looked quite smart. 

Does anyone know where it is available to buy? 

1978.jpg

Try magicspongeretro and retrofcshirts on Instagram bud. Although they had the Umbro diamond 'filled in', which to be honest is how I remember that jacket at the time. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember the one in that photo actually being produced or used by the team.

On 7/9/2022 at 9:30 AM, Ray said:

During the last couple of games, noticed a few people wearing what looked to be a retro copy of this tracksuit top from 1978, and thought it looked quite smart. 

Does anyone know where it is available to buy? 

1978.jpg

Tartan Army Pins on twitter.👍

On 7/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Toepoke said:

Resembles the one worn by the coaching staff, modelled here by Hugh Allan and Willie Ormond...

First+kit.jpg

I had that tracksuit when I was a kid.

I haven't seen a picture of it for years and confirms something I was sure of.  The cuffs and the waistband were navy blue.  I've seen a retro version which has white cuffs and waistband.

If you look at the two pictures then the sky view version similarly has a sky blue collar, whereas the one above has a navy blue collar and cuffs.   I's be suspicious if someone was claiming that was an original without provenance.

Edited by aaid

48 minutes ago, aaid said:

This would seem to be the original - worn by Souness in 1978.

football_shirt_73226_1_369x492x1.jpg

https://www.oldfootballshirts.com/es/teams/s/scotland/old-scotland-football-shirt-s73226.html

That is exactly how I remember it - it was worn at Wembley 1977 as well.  The one in the opening post was, I think (again, happy to stand corrected), a prototype which never went in to production in the end, and we got the one in your picture above instead.  I am sure I once saw a similar 'prototype' shirt with the different diamonds and collar too.

Re: my above post, this is the shirt.  Basically the SFA were given kit choices by Umbro at the time, and opted for the ones we know and love, with the 'filled in diamonds', over the other style.  I think!

Scotland Prototype Football Shirt (World Cup, 1978).jpg

Edited by Andy C
Additional text