Scotland's Austria Hampden clash thrown into turmoil as Steve Clarke braces for World Cup venue chaos - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's Austria Hampden clash thrown into turmoil as Steve Clarke braces for World Cup venue chaos

Taylor1996

This is good news, the fact is we are not playing Austria's strongest team, how far off that standard and how well will they play I have no idea. What about their other games this squad will have to play?  It sounds uncompassionate but the rules were already established and if it affected us, we too would be negativity impacted.

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

This is good news, the fact is we are not playing Austria's strongest team, how far off that standard and how well will they play I have no idea. What about their other games this squad will have to play?  

Two home games v Fareo Islands and Denmark (I suspect that is why they have backed off so easily, as FIFA would have most likely sided with us, as they would not be allowed a triple home header, and to play the game at a neutral venue would mean they would have to forfeit Septembers game being in Austria out of fairness).

12 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Two home games v Fareo Islands and Denmark (I suspect that is why they have backed off so easily, as FIFA would have most likely sided with us, as they would not be allowed a triple home header, and to play the game at a neutral venue would mean they would have to forfeit Septembers game being in Austria out of fairness).

I don't see why not.  Faroes are playing three away matches this month. 

Reading the article shared, they didn't want a triple header of away games in September and sacrifice home advantage potentially with fans.  Can they not call up the German based players for the Faroe and Denmark games, or it is a one time declared squad for all three games? Either way, we focus on what we need to do and if others drop points then that's great.

Edited by romanticscot

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Reading the article shared, they didn't want a triple header of away games in September and sacrifice home advantage potentially with fans.  Can they not call up the German based players for the Faroe and Denmark games, or it is a one time declared squad for all three games? 

I think the whole issue is Germany, and players based there would have came in to contact with players who have been in the UK.

Apparently Austria have pleaded with the clubs in Germany to release players, but its expected to fall on deaf ears (especially with Bayern v Red Bull and the Berlin derby the weekend after the international break)

42 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Worry is if they try to talk Zlatko Junuzović out of international retirement (55 caps) and use the chance to fend off Turkey by getting Ercan Kara capped. 

Can't see a retired player travelling across Europe during covid times but you never know. Getting players like Kara capped is probably a smart idea. I think he'd only have to play once for Austria to be ineligible for any other international teams since he's over 21.

15 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Reading the article shared, they didn't want a triple header of away games in September and sacrifice home advantage potentially with fans.  Can they not call up the German based players for the Faroe and Denmark games, or it is a one time declared squad for all three games? Either way, we focus on what we need to do and if others drop points then that's great.

Think it only affects the Scotland game. Presumably they'll call-up around 35-40 players this month.

6 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

Can't see a retired player travelling across Europe during covid times but you never know. Getting players like Kara capped is probably a smart idea. I think he'd only have to play once for Austria to be ineligible for any other international teams since he's over 21.

I suspect the squad they take to Glasgow will be made up mainly of Rapid and LASK players, and only naturally they will look to Red Bull, but given the hatred for them in Asutrian football, it will only be the 2 or 3 players in their squad they will approach (imagine a request to Junuzović will be made, as he is only 33, and due to his Champions League experience to offer something for the team... just a case of would he accept a one and done deal to come back, with the carrot of the Euros in the summer if he puts on a good showing in these games)

27 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Looks like Austria have called up a extremely large squad, but think that means German based players will not travel to Glasgow.

Thanks for posting this, its exactly what I was looking for other than their team.  A 43 man squad, pretty much two squads.  

4 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Thanks for posting this, its exactly what I was looking for other than their team.  A 43 man squad, pretty much two squads.  

18 German based players, so even taking them all out, thats a 25 man squad to take to Glasgow next week.