Canadians - help? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Canadians - help?

Watching "Burden of Proof".

TV Series.

In a court scene, the lawyers were referring to the Judge as "Your Majesty".

Yet in another episode, a judge was referred to as "Your Honour".

"Your Majesty"?

The courtroom can be an intimidating place especially for the uninitiated. Add to that the stress of being involved in trial proceedings, the rules of which are unfamiliar to many, and tongues can get tied.

Judges tell stories of being referred to, usually by non-professionals, as "Your Majesty", "Dear", "Excellency", even "Your Holiness".

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The courtroom can be an intimidating place especially for the uninitiated. Add to that the stress of being involved in trial proceedings, the rules of which are unfamiliar to many, and tongues can get tied.

Judges tell stories of being referred to, usually by non-professionals, as "Your Majesty", "Dear", "Excellency", even "Your Holiness".

I can understand that. But in this TV programme, at least three different lawyers referred to the High Heid Yin as "Your Majesty".

16 minutes ago, Flure said:

I can understand that. But in this TV programme, at least three different lawyers referred to the High Heid Yin as "Your Majesty".

Monsieur Le Juge ?

In general, Canadian judges may be addressed directly, depending on the province, as "My Lord", "My Lady", "Your Honour" or "Justice" and are formally referred to in the third person as "The Honourable Mr. (or Madam) Justice 'Forename Surname'". Less formally, judges of a Superior Court are referred to as "Justice 'Surname'", not as "Judge 'Surname.'" When referred to in a decision of a court, judges' titles are often abbreviated to the suffix "J.", so that Justice Smith will be referred to as Smith J. Judges in some superior courts are addressed as "My Lord" or "My Lady".[12] In Ontario, judges are never referred to as "My Lord" or "My Lady," but only as "Your Honour" at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.[13] Formerly, translations of these titles such as Votre Honneur ("your honour") or Votre Seigneurie ("your lordship") were used in French; today, only Monsieur le juge and Madame la juge are officially used. Both the titles "judge" and "justice" are translated juge.

Generally, it is only appropriate to use the term "judge" when speaking of an anonymous or general position, such as "the trial judge," or when referring to a member of an inferior or provincial court such as the Ontario Court of Justice. The exception is Citizenship Judges who are referred to only as "Judge 'Surname.'" in accordance with their appointment as independent decision makers of the Citizenship Commission.

Like other members of the Commonwealth, a justice of the peace is addressed as "Your Worship," and a Master of a Superior Court is both addressed and referred to as "Master."

Edited by Ally Bongo

23 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Monsieur Le Juge ?

In general, Canadian judges may be addressed directly, depending on the province, as "My Lord", "My Lady", "Your Honour" or "Justice" and are formally referred to in the third person as "The Honourable Mr. (or Madam) Justice 'Forename Surname'". Less formally, judges of a Superior Court are referred to as "Justice 'Surname'", not as "Judge 'Surname.'" When referred to in a decision of a court, judges' titles are often abbreviated to the suffix "J.", so that Justice Smith will be referred to as Smith J. Judges in some superior courts are addressed as "My Lord" or "My Lady".[12] In Ontario, judges are never referred to as "My Lord" or "My Lady," but only as "Your Honour" at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.[13] Formerly, translations of these titles such as Votre Honneur ("your honour") or Votre Seigneurie ("your lordship") were used in French; today, only Monsieur le juge and Madame la juge are officially used. Both the titles "judge" and "justice" are translated juge.

Generally, it is only appropriate to use the term "judge" when speaking of an anonymous or general position, such as "the trial judge," or when referring to a member of an inferior or provincial court such as the Ontario Court of Justice. The exception is Citizenship Judges who are referred to only as "Judge 'Surname.'" in accordance with their appointment as independent decision makers of the Citizenship Commission.

Like other members of the Commonwealth, a justice of the peace is addressed as "Your Worship," and a Master of a Superior Court is both addressed and referred to as "Master."

I'm watching it now.

There's a jury selection process going on, presided over by a guy in robes.

All Lawyers are referring to him as "Your Majesty".